The Lost Boys. Chap 06: New Year

Chapter Six

New Year

                           "Hum

"Hum . . . Hey, Mom! What are you doing here?" I asked, trying to disguise the panic in my voice. Oh no! This cannot be happening! What was I going to do now? 

          "I left the party early. I wanted to spend New Year's Eve with you. Where are you going all dressed up like that? Didn't you say you're staying home all night?" she asked suspiciously. 

          'I . . . well, funny you should ask . . . I was . . ." I mumbled, stalling for time. What was I supposed to say here? I was just leaving for this awesome party to be with this amazing guy, hoping with all my heart that he would kiss me tonight and, by the way, did I mention the party is at the local cemetery? 

          My mom was giving me The Look, waiting for me to answer. 

          "Is this something to do with this boy you're hanging out with all the time now?" she asked. 

          "His name is Tristan, Mom. I already told you that! And it was a last-minute thing. It's a party close by. I was going to call you, but it's almost midnight and . . ." I trailed off. "Please, Mom! Can I go now?" 

          "Okay, where's this party? I'll walk you there. Don't worry, I'm not going inside. I won't embarrass you in front of your friends!" she said after seeing the look of terror cross my face. "I just need to see where you'll be. In case something happens." 

          "Nothing's going to happen, Mom!" I whined. 

          "I know. It's just for precaution, honey. Come on," she said. 

          Oh. Crap. Now I was doomed, all right. 

          "Okay. Let's go, then," I said, speed-walking to the cemetery. It was really late. If Tristan was waiting for me at the front gates, maybe she'd let me go in. No one could resist his winning smile!

          In eight short minutes we were at the cemetery. Lots of people were coming and going, chitchatting happily with drinks in their hands. The gates were fully open, candles decorating the iron sign above and yellow lanterns casting a warm light over the entrance. I couldn't see Tristan. 

          My mom stopped at my side, glancing at all the people mingling around us. 

          "Look at all these people! What's happening, here? Joey, is your party happening at the cemetery?" she asked in surprise. 

          "Well, yeah. It's no big deal, Mom," I said, knowing damn well that it was a huge deal. "It's a tradition in Esperanza. Isn't that cool? Everybody comes here to celebrate New Year's Eve!" 

          "And you didn't tell me because you knew I would never let you come alone to a party in a cemetery, Joe Gray!" she said, affronted, calling my bluff.  Gosh. Maternal insights suck!