Chapter 19- Snatchers, Hunters, Family

The morning after Full Moon, I woke up naked beside a lake with only blurred memories of what had happened. How strong had that stuff been and how much had I drunk? I really didn't remember and I swore to myself that I wouldn't drink at Full Moon again.

I moaned and staggered towards the water, walking into it until I was up to my naval, then held my nose and immersed myself. The water was cool and clean and when I came back up, the chill made me shiver and wake up quickly. I shook my hair out and changed my form, heaving myself from the water and along the shoreline, following the footsteps and paw prints in the sand.  After a few minutes walking I found a deer carcass that had been torn to pieces and had hardly any meat on it; there were crows perched on it, tearing at the remains.

I shook out my fur and continued onwards, my head held low. After a half hour following the tracks in he sand I came across the first body, sprawled out just inside the tree line. They moaned as I passed by them, so I knew they were alive. I followed scents into the woods and picked out Levicies distinctive smell and followed it without thinking. After an hour I felt a constriction in my stomach and my right paw began to burn. I picked it up and looked down at the pad, seeing the shape of a unicorn there. Then my eyes rolled into the back of my head and I fell sideways onto the leaf mould, letting out a scream as my body convulsed.

"What do you mean there was a sighting?" hissed the cold voice.

"My Lord," whimpered Draco, on his knees before me, "I am just conveying the rumors."

"Where?" he demanded.

"The Morvan mountainous area in France, in a small village to the west of the area. Nothing can be confirmed, yet," Draco said, looking down at his hands.

"Interesting," said the voice, slowly, "the information that She was dead was from a reliable source. However, She was not killed by my hand, so we can not be certain."

There was a few moments silence.

"Draco, you have proven yourself to be trustworthy," they said, "take with you a troupe of snatchers and go there, see if the rumours are true. If so, bring her to me."

I jerked awake, my back arching, my once again human naked body covered in cold sweat.

"Caramela?" came a soft voice beside me.

I turned, fire in my eyes, which subsided when I saw it was just Levicie. Then I realised I could see all of Levicie. I closed my eyes, opening them after a couple of beats and looking pointedly at his face.

"Are you going to be ok?" he asked me.

I nodded and sat up properly, moaning.

"You looked as though you were having a nightmare, or something," he murmured, "I saw you coming this way, then you just collapsed and- well. You're awake now."

"Good observational skills," I muttered darkly.

"What?"

"Nothing. Levicie, we may have a problem," I said, scrambling to my feet.

"There are no problems, just solutions," he replied, looking me over as he stood also.

"There's-" I stopped, thinking over things quickly.

If I told him, perhaps they would help me get rid of this threat, but equally, if I told him, he might hurt Draco without knowing. I hadn't told him about Draco yet and I didn't want to have to explain it. I made my decision, taking a deep breath.

"There is a group of Snatchers coming to look for me. Amongst them is a Death Eater. The Death Eater will not be harmed."

Levicie gave me a strange look, eyebrows pulled together.