Chapter 28- The Powerful One

I reached up and placed a palm on the door, taking long, slow breaths. It was time. 

I pushed it open slowly, thankful that it didn't creak, but swung open easily. I stepped inside, my feet making no noise as I slipped into the Shack. My heart was in my throat as I padded forwards, desperate to not reveal myself until the last possible moment. 

I heard footsteps outside and froze, slipping into the shadows as the front door was opened and Snape stepped in, followed by Narsisa. Damn, I'd almost forgotten that this was due to happen.

Snape turned to Narsisa and began talking quickly in a low voice.

"The Dark Lord is about to kill me, Narsisa," he murmured, "now don't make a sound, don't acknowledge that you know. I'm going to go in there and I will die, then the Dark Lord will fall in the next couple of hours. Don't argue, go and find Lucius, tell him the news. I have an appointment to keep."

"Severus, please," she whispered.

"I have been a double spy for so long," he murmured, "I'm tired, I'm done. Go find your son and your husband, turn to the right side, the side of Hogwarts, the side I have always been on. Go, Narsisa, don't look back."

She nodded tearfully, turning and hurrying away quickly. Once she'd gone Snape hung his head, a single tear running down his hooked nose. I stepped forwards and slipped my hand into his. He jumped and looked around, seeing me shimmer into his vision, and only his.

"I made a promise a lifetime ago," I whispered, "I promised a hurt man to be by his side in return for my freedom. I would promise it again in an instant."

He nodded once, jerkily. I wiped the tear away and he looked up at me with glassy eyes.

"It's time," he murmured, "I can't keep Death waiting forever."

I nodded and we made our way into the living room. 

I saw my babies first as I went in, on the other side of the room, out of view of the tunnel to the shack. Then I saw Voldemort, tall and pale, his snake face gaunt and evil. I tightened my grip on Snape's hand, stopping myself from running to my babies. I'd made a promise.

I knew Harry was there in the tunnel, looking into the room at us. 

I would recount the scene that played out before us, but we all know how it went. All you need know is that I held Snape's hand as he went down. His blood splattered against my armour, his body went limp in my arms. I held him as he lay on the floor, his breaths gurgling. Voldemort left the room with Nagini and my babies. I couldn't stand the fact that murderer had my children. 

Harry came out of the tunnel, rushing to Snape's side, not seeing me as my invisibility spell held true.

"Take them," spluttered Snape as his memories flooded from him, "please, take them."

Harry gathered them up as I watched over Severus. He looked up at Harry.

"Look at me," he demanded.

Harry did as he was commanded.

"You have your mothers eyes," he sighed.

Then he was gone. He was gone. 

Harry stood after a moment, going back with Ron and Hermione. But I stayed. I looked down at the man that had been hated most of his life, a man who had killed and bullied and tortured. A man that was still a hurt teenager. A man who would be regarded as a hero. A man who's blood covered me.

I leant forwards and kissed his forehead.

"Sleep well, Half Blood Prince," I whispered, "and may you go somewhere that will bring you more joy than you ever felt in this life."