Chapter 22- Vampire's Arival

I awoke with a start the next day. I don't remember what I'd dreamt; I just remember I had been scared. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, yawning. I looked about me, finding Caleb on the other side of the tent, sleeping peacefully. I stood, changed into jeans and a t-shirt and left the tent quietly. Outside it was bleak in the early morning light, no-body was in sight. 

I stretched and started into the forest. I needed a walk, alone. I was fed up of people around me, looking to me, waiting for me to give the order to go to battle. The Hippogriffs had stayed in tents with the Weres and Levici had acknowledged my decision with nothing but a nod. 

Oh, Levici. What could I do about him? We were both attracted, I knew, but I couldn't love him. My body called out for his. I shook myself and mentally scolded myself. I loved Fred. I was engaged to Fred. Or was I? Did I still want him after he had cheated on me?

I looked down at the glittering ring on my finger, tears filling my eyes. I slid it from my finger and attached it to my necklace instead, reserving judgement. For now. I couldn't bear to look at it. 

The deeper into the forest I wondered, the more my thoughts seemed to turn on me, making me frightened of what was to come. I staggered and fell against a tree, grasping its trunk for support as my eyes became unseeing and all of a sudden I was somewhere else.

"My Lord, we have been informed that Caramella Wincroft is still alive. Our Potterwatch monitors have informed us she is gathering an army!" said a voice.

The sound of a serpents belly on the ground filled the room.

"She is still alive?" asked the cold voice.

"This is what we have been inform-"

"Where is she?"

"We cannot be certain, rumors have been passed around so much of late. She's been spotted in many places up and down the country in the last year."

"Where will she be now?"

"The last report of her was in Scotland... But that was months ago."

"Send forces," growled the cold voice.

"My Lord, the most promising reports have been of the mountains in France, where you sent the boy..."

"They found no trace of her there," he snapped, "they were captured by Werewolves. They escaped by chance. However... If she is gathering forces of magical beings..."

"My Lord?"

"Send Scabior again... Show him images of the girl... ensure he searches properly, this time. I don't believe he did the last time. Arm him with silver, should he encounter Werewolves again."

"When should he leave?"

"She can hear us," said the high, cold voice, "she's listening right now."

I snapped back into my mind, like I'd been pushed back there. My eyes flew open and I fell forwards, onto my hands and knees, fighting back the bile that rose in my throat. I swallowed again and again, then overwhelming dizziness took me over and I fell forwards, blacking out.

When I awoke it was dark. I was cold and alone, feeling strange and disorientated. For a moment I didn't move, just laid there in the leaf mould, staring up at the canopy above.

"I wondered how long it would take for you to wake up," said a voice. 

I sat up quickly, turning to the speaker. I couldn't see anyone in the dark, until their wand tip lit up and they stepped forwards.