Chapter 15: An Understanding

I think this should feel less oppressive and depressing than the last few chapters, so I hope you all enjoy. Chapter 15 time!

Chapter 15

An Understanding

"Wait...Greninja's gone?" Clemont's mouth had practically fallen open. Whatever Ash's intention in sharing that information with his friend, he certainly hadn't expected Clemont's more lively response than the day prior to be one of them. "Like...you released him?"

"No!" Ash argued, almost pointedly. "I still have his pokeball, and he's still with me...kinda. He's just doing stuff with Squishy because of the tipping point and all that."

"Right. That thing," Clemont noted, flipping over some of the eggs in his frying pan and placing them on a plate. He put it down on the table in front of Ash and joined him, sitting there and thinking about the whole entire ordeal. Hau was already diving into his own eggs while Rotom remained silent on the table. "You're sure about it?"

"Can't change it now," Ash laughed out. He was feeling a little lighter. Not that Greninja was ever a burden; far from it, but he didn't want to feel he was holding anyone or anything back. In some part, he and Greninja had probably both wondered if they were doing that by constantly sticking with one another. That was the exact logic Serena had used, and he was really starting to realize how sound it was. "Besides, I'm sure Greninja will grow stronger, and when we meet up before the League and all that, our bond will be the same."

"Ah...I get it," Clemont said, nodding. "Though it seems like you'll have some tough competition if people like Gladion are there."

"Gladion?" Hau asked, now snarfing down some malasadas with his toast. "That kid who snapped at me during the Battle Royal, right? He needs to loosen up."

"Gladion is tightly wound, I suppose, but he means well." Ash nodded, making sure to eat his eggs quickly but carefully. The inventor had no idea of Ash's earlier encounter with Gladion in Heahea, but given the conversation last night, and all those things cleared up, he didn't feel the need to share. "So, Squishy was in the area, which means Lionel and the others probably are, too."

"Probably," was Ash's response as he finished off his breakfast quickly. "I think he said something about Malie City, right? We'll have to check them out when we get back there from Mount Hokulani."

"Sounds like a plan to me. We should get going, though," Clemont noted. He leaned over, grabbing a still despondent Rotom with the strange expression and pressing buttons on its screen. The Pokédex didn't stop him. "Yep. The bus that's needed to travel to the top of Mount Hokulani usually leaves late morning and we've still got a bit to travel."

"Well, let's get going then!" Ash said, pumping his fist upward. He held his arm out and Pikachu jumped upon it. Hau finished shoveling in his breakfast as quick as could be. By the time he was done, Ash was on to packing up the tent, quickly getting his assistance as they got back on the road once more. Already, with Clemont speaking normally, this day was turning out better than the last two. Feeling that, their little trio pushed onward and upward with speed.

"I wonder what kind of new Pokémon there'll be near the mountain," Hau said with a grin, his hands behind his head later in the morning, when they were near to the impending bus stop. "Maybe I'll catch one and fill out my team. What do you think, Pipi?"

"Rai!" Pipi agreed. Ash smiled at the fact, thinking about whether he would catch another Pokémon to add to his team, with Greninja now gone from its ranks for the time being. Pikachu seemed to share the exact same opinion, looking back from atop Pipi's head to exchange the thought.