Chapter 6: A Partner

You may notice the awesome, pretty new cover art (go on, take a look, you know you want to). That's right: it looks amazing, and full respects and thanks go to my very good friend Captain Luky Greace for making this piece of amazingness. Now enjoy it while you enjoy Chapter 6!

Chapter 6

A Partner

"I'm sorry...what?" Keoni was the one who had spoken, practically spitting the words out towards the trial captain with a venom. "He has to take part in the Ceremony? What kind of stupid crap is that?"

"It's the Trial of Kiawe," the dark-skinned boy answered. Ash blinked in his direction, trying to understand just what exactly was going on with this whole situation. Out of everything he could have expected for his trial, taking part in one of Serena's Ceremonies was not one of them. "I am the officiator of the Wela Ceremony, and one of the participants every time there is a trial-goer taking part."

"But...what?" Keoni was spluttering now. He genuinely seemed insulted by the fact that someone who wasn't a Performer of sorts was going to be taking part in his Ceremony. Kiawe regarded him with a look of displeasure and disappointment before heaving a rather heavy sigh.

"The Island Trials, the Leilani Ceremonies..." Kiawe spoke, his gaze traveling up to the smoking plume that was belching out of the volcano. Ash followed the gaze, finding the way that the smoke curled and wafted to be quite calming. "They are two sides of the Island Pilgrimage. Doesn't it make sense that at some point they should intertwine? I have never been an Island Champion, myself; very few have the strength and fortitude to see that challenge through to the end, but those who do understand that Alola, and themselves, must be in harmony.

"What better way than to have the trial-goer understand all aspects of the Pilgrimage?"

"I agree," Ash said, finally speaking his mind. Keoni snapped a look of disgust to him, but Kiawe was smiling, clearly pleased with his answer. Ignoring the indignant boy near him, Ash held a fist up, his usual sign of accepting a challenge. "Sometimes, you have to do different things to understand other people and cultures, right?"

"That's a very mature response," Clemont noted. Ash glanced towards his friend with a grin.

"This is part of Alola's traditions. Who am I to walk away from them?" he responded. Clemont nodded, as though the logic was rather sound. "Although...what about Serena? I mean, if completing the trial means that she can't win..."

"Don't worry about that," Kiawe informed him sternly. "The trial-goer need only pass through the Performance Portion. Our battle will then take place after the Ceremony is completed, while whoever of the two that pass on to the Battle Portion will compete for the Lei."

"Of the two?" Serena asked, and Ash realized her trepidation. How could two people pass to the Battle Portion, if Ash was one of them? It simply made no sense, and he almost didn't even want to try it.

"Because you'll be in partners," the officiator behind the desk said, answering before Kiawe could. The captain clearly agreed with him, though, nodding his head quite profusely. "For the Wela Ceremony, sometimes there are multiple trial-goers, though not in this case; but regardless, we fill the ranks with volunteers from the crowd that sign up to be a part of it."

"They're not aiming for earning one of their Leis, obviously, but it helps to balance the Ceremony out," Kiawe further instructed. "After the pairs finish the Performance Portion, and the winners are decided, the two actually taking part are left on their own for the battle."

"Do we get to decide who we want to partner up with?" Ash asked. To this, Kiawe decisively shook his head.

"No. In fact, I'll be taking part in the trial and Ceremony as well, to really up the stakes, and even I don't know who I'll be paired with," Kiawe admitted. "Tonight, as I said, is when the Ceremony kicks off, and it will be unlike any other you've experienced. Our partners will be chosen then."