Chapter 17: A Thread

If there are any mistakes this chapter, I apologize. I've had some exhausting days. So just let me know if I missed anything. That said, this chapter was tricky in and of itself, but I do promise it's all leading somewhere (just in case you think it isn't). Now, time for Chapter 17!

Chapter 17

A Thread

Blush Mountain was, quite possibly, the most beautiful natural landmark that Serena had ever seen. Its red-tinged rocks that cast the sunrise in the most beautiful light, gleaming and sparkling, were a marvel. Even the sight of the power plant that rested beyond wasn't enough to mar its natural resting state. If anything, it enhanced it, like it was part of the landscape.

It was also the location of the next Ceremony, and Serena continued to find herself in a turmoil.

"It's so pretty here..." Bonnie expressed, giggling happily. Acerola was right there with her, the two girls pretty much skipping ahead. They had arrived here after a many day trek across the large and rather rough terrain. Acerola had managed to explain further that if they'd taken the shortcut, which would have required fast-moving Pokémon capable of crossing the terrain, it would have been a little over a day only. Nevertheless, the long journey hadn't dampened any of their spirits whatsoever, especially with the early morning air. Out of all of them, only Lillie seemed inclined to be fatigued from their journey, but Serena had noticed her growing stronger by the day.

"It is rather breathtaking," the blonde noted from next to Serena. Said Performer continued looking upward at the tops of the mountains before sliding along the pathway. There appeared to be two paths to reach the lands beyond Blush Mountain: one that led through the mountain and into the desert beyond, and then one that led around the mountain with triple the time, according to Acerola (who admitted to flying over it with her Drifblim, usually). The girl was a veritable gold mine of information about the island. Of course, Serena was certain of which path Ash would want to take when he got here. "Is there something bothering you?"

"Usually I'm the one to ask you that," Serena laughed out. Lillie giggled lightly, her finger twisting into her braided hair. Komala seemed to be absent from her arm this morning, though its snores indicated it was sleeping next to Nebby in the slightly unzipped bag.

"Well, you were kind of just staring into space," she told her. Serena couldn't deny that one. With so much on her mind, any moment not given to practicing Z-Moves was usually given to either performance practices or brooding in general. Not that she liked brooding, but her mind couldn't help it, especially after the way she'd insisted they split apart.

"Just thinking..." Serena admitted. She walked forward a little, breathing in the mountain air as she watched the puffs of steam from the power plant. Part of her mind wondered if Keoni was there yet, but the other part could only think of her impending decision. She still had a day to decide, since the Ceremony wouldn't be held until the following late morning. "Lillie, do you enjoy your journey with us?"

"Of course!" Lillie said. She placed her hands behind herself and ran ahead of Serena, her hat flopping up and down as she did so. When she reached a certain point, she turned right around with a brilliant smile. "I've learned so much about Pokémon, and training, and traveling, and battling and-"

"Okay, okay!" Serena said. She couldn't stop her giggles, beginning to laugh uncontrollably. Lillie's words, as endless as they seemed, made her feel a bit better. It also helped her to make her own decisions. There were so many different things to try in life.

"I'm not going to do the Ceremony!" she declared, placing her hands on her hips defiantly. Lillie almost dropped her bag, her mouth quivering a bit at the idea of it.