Chapter 9: A Shadow

Not much to say this time around other than this is a long but important chapter in multiple ways. Please enjoy Chapter 9!

Chapter 9

A Shadow

"So, this is Resolution Cave," Steven's voice said, standing in front of the low hanging vines near the entrance to the cavern. Gary looked in the same direction that he was glancing, tucking his sunglasses into his shirt. There was no need for them now, not with the sun beginning to dip below the horizon and the stars beginning to peak their heads out.

"Seems old," Gary commented, once more running a hand through his hair. Steven stepped forward, leading them into the field that appeared to precede the cavern. It had taken them a bit of time to reach this place, and standing here now, Gary felt he could actually feel the ancient aura coming off the place. He wondered if the Altar of the Sunne was the same, but with the inability to get there, he could neither confirm nor deny any of it.

"I'd certainly say so," the Champion commented. He bent low to the ground, touching at the soil. "This cave has likely been here for as long as Alola has stood, with it being said the guardian deities waged a great battle here long ago, even if just in rumor. Either way, no wonder it got its name."

Gary walked forward into the flower meadow, sniffing at the strange smelling nectar in the air. Small chirps from Pokémon filled the air, but it was still relatively quiet from what he would have expected from such a natural habitat. That alone was enough to tell him that something strange was going on in the depths. Walking past Steven, the researcher saw low hanging, ancient trees covering up the gaps and mouths of the cave. "Do you really think we'll find anything here? Not exactly a place perfect for ancient legends."

"Perhaps...but the soil's been disturbed recently," was the note Steven made. Gary chose to not let that bother him; trainers must have come by here all the time. "Gary, be on guard."

"Yeah," the brunet boy waved off. Steven emerged from his crouch and began to walk further in, Gary joining him. It became quickly apparent that the only real way in was up the enormous tree trunks and roots that were spread about the area. Its age was certainly left in no state of doubt.

Steven gripped onto a low hanging branch to stabilize himself, prompting Gary to follow after. Wherever the true entrance to the cave was, it certainly wasn't on this level. Climbing upward, the cries of Pokémon became less and less frequent, as though they were staying as far away from the cave as they possibly could. The very notion intrigued Gary, causing him to furrow his brow. What phenomenon could cause so many Pokémon to stay away from what was otherwise a perfectly inhabitable cave?

"Ah, here we are," Steven said, finally stopping in front of the mouth to the interior of the cave, situated on a higher level than before. Gary stopped next to him, and felt a shudder ripple up and down his skin. This was no mere cave. "Do you feel it?"

"Power...unearthly power," Gary noted. Steven was nodding, taking out his tablet and looking through it for any other notes they could use to essentially go spelunking within the place. After a couple minutes of that, he must have deemed it fruitless, for he tucked it away.

"There're no notes on the composition of the passageways within the cave." Gary had to sigh at that, the fleeting hope of making this an easy exploration gone in a flash. "We'll have to wing it, and make sure we mark things so that we know our way back to the entrance."

"Right. Electivire, we'll need your help," Gary called, tossing his pokeball out. Electivire emerged with a little grin. Steven patted its back and then forged into the cave ahead of them. Gary and his Pokémon followed.