Chapter 2: A Doubt

I always imagined that the opening for Trials would be Kyoran Hey Kids! from the anime Noragami Aragoto. Give a listen if you have the chance! But for now, it's time for Chapter 2!

Chapter 2

A Doubt

As it turned out, the journey to Royal Avenue was not a particularly long one. In fact, Serena soon found that it was actually a very familiar route: the straight shot that they had taken from Lush Jungle eventually split off to go to Royal Avenue. That's when the memory seemed to really hit her, that first night at dinner.

"Of course! Maka said she came to Heahea from Royal Avenue!" Serena had exclaimed, halfway through looking at her map. There was an announcement on the front page of the Alolan news, tucked away in a corner about the upcoming Hano Ceremony, but Serena only filed it away for later. With luck, she'd be able to win her next Lei at the Wela Ceremony before Ash could complete his trial.

"Oh, yeah..." Ash called out, surprisingly yawning a little. Clearly, despite all the rest, his training and various helping around the city (though no heavy lifting, per Kukui's orders) in the early mornings had worn him out, on top of the abuse his body had taken the day before. "Either way, it's gonna be really fun. Right, buddy?"

"Chaaaa..." Pikachu sounded out in content. To Serena's surprise, he and Pancham were rolled up against the already sleeping Sandshrew, who was propped against a resting Rotom. She had him join them for dinner to get used to all the Pokémon, and though he was tentative at first, Sandshrew quickly took to the group kindly. Serena appreciated that; the baby was a rather outgoing one after the initial hesitation.

"It definitely sounds like a good time," Clemont agreed. The inventor didn't seem quite so exhausted, but was resting comfortably in his chair. It felt like it had been a while since the three of them had just sat and talked, as Lillie had already taken Bonnie to the tent for a night's rest. "I think I'll enter with Luxray. He's been itching for a battle for a while now, and I know I've been wanting one."

"Sounds awesome," Ash yawned out once more. "You better make it to the championship round so I can battle you again. It's been a long time."

"You know I will," Clemont said, snapping his chair legs back on to the ground with a slight smirk. Ash returned the smirk and the two bumped fists together. A sound in the surrounding trees briefly caught Serena's attention and she looked to see Greninja throwing some shuriken at a tree. It almost seemed like the frog was determined or something. Turning back to the table, Serena noticed that the boys had finished their fistbump, and Ash had a very light frown on his face. It was just a second, but she had to wonder if their pride had taken a bigger blow against the beast from the Ultra Space than she had thought.

"Do you want to take part, too, Serena?" Ash asked the second that the smile was back on his face. Serena gave a slight start at her boyfriend's question, honestly not really having an answer for it.

"I don't know," Serena finally answered after a moment of Ash's staring. "On the one hand, it would be experience for the battle portion of the Ceremony, but..."

"Hey, if you don't want to, you don't have to. Just cheer us on in the crowd." Serena figured that was pretty much a given at this point. Clemont appeared to stand now, swiping his fedora off the table. Near his feet was a passed out Chespin, propped up by Bunnelby, both of whom the inventor soon returned.

"Well, I figure I'll turn in for the night," Clemont said, obviously considering their conversation finished. Serena and Ash both bade their friend good night as he returned to the tents, briefly giving Bonnie and Lillie his own good nights before slipping into the boy's tent. It ultimately left Serena alone with Ash, especially since Greninja seemed to have settled down.