Chapter 13: A Division

Before this chapter begins, I have to give a small...disclaimer? I just want everyone to remember that I will always write plot and character development before all else, but that you should never be alarmed, because my decisions were well thought and planned from the beginning. So, please understand everything that's going on! That said, please enjoy Chapter 13!

Chapter 13

A Division

"Land ahoy!" Ash, Bonnie and Rotom's voice rang across the ocean at the sight of the rapidly approaching Ula'ula Island. Ash, in particular, breathed in that breath of salty air, excited for the next island to finally be explored. While he had enjoyed Akala immensely, he was ready for that change of pace and scenery, and from where he was, Ula'ula looked like it could certainly offer that very thing.

"The mountains are huge..." Clemont commented, adjusting his glasses to gaze at the two spires that formed the backbone of the entire island. No doubt that one of them was Mount Hokulani, the site of Clemont's work to be done.

"It looks massive," was Serena's statement. "Hmm...it seems like these two mountains are the highest point in all of the Alola region. Mount Hokulani seems to be where a trial may be held, but there aren't a lot of details. However, Mount Lanakila, in particular, seems to be the taller of the two, which is why it's so revered, as it's closer to the legendary Pokémon of the region."

"I wonder what the legendary Pokémon is like," Bonnie commented, kicking her legs back and forth as she hung on to the railing. "Are they anything like Squishy? Do you know, Rotom?"

"Rotom has no such data," the Pokédex informed them. "All Rotom knows is that no one has seen the legendary Pokémon for a very long time, since the time of a supposed great battle. Rotom is sure there are legends, though. Maybe Samson Oak will know."

"It's certainly something to check out," Serena confirmed, slipping her tablet back into her bag. The island was now fast approaching, and they were nearly to its docks. "Let's just remember we have to meet up with Lillie. I'm sure she's waiting for us."

"Yeah, I don't think that will be a problem," Clemont chuckled out. Ash turned back to him, wondering what he could have meant by that. As he did so, he saw Serena's Z-Ring, glittering with a light pink glow in the noonday sun. She'd yet to start her own practice on Z-Moves, but he was sure she could do it. The memory of their small argument the night before came to his mind, but with gritted teeth, Ash tried to ignore it. "If she's with Hau, we'll just have to look for a malasada shop."

"I could use some..." Bonnie said, she and Dedenne practically drooling at the thought of malasadas. There was no wonder that she seemed to like Hau so much. Ash laughed a little, feeling the wind whip around and through both him and Pikachu. They were just about there, giving Ash a sight of Malie City and its impressive architecture.

It seemed almost Johto-based in its influence. The designs of the houses heavily reminded him of those in Ecruteak City, with their peaked rooves and oriental designs. In fact, their whole entire theme seemed to be based on that, given some women that were outside a café, dressed in kimonos. Beyond that seemed to be a large and lovely garden that people were strolling through with their Pokémon, simply having a good time in the scheme of things. There certainly seemed to be a lot to explore within the confines of Malie City, but Ash's attention was inexorably drawn to Mount Hokulani (which he could tell it was thanks to the height). It looked like it would be a long and treacherous journey up the mountain path, but that made Ash excited to try it.

"At last!" Rotom cried out when the ship came to its stop and the ramp lowered down, touching to the docks. Before any of them had the chance to move off, Rotom had zipped off the boat, flying into the city. "Samson Oak is not a Pokémon, but perhaps Rotom can scan for similar DNA signatures from Professor Oak."