I Can't Do This Without Him - Sophie's POV

I was hunched over on my knees at the archway of Everglen. I buried my face in my hands, sobbing. Did he seriously just accuse me of cheating? Well, I knew we weren't a thing, but I had just imagined that once in my life I would be happy...

I sniffed and sat up. My vision was limited because my eyes were puffy and red from crying. I hated that. I hated how I just let my feelings give in. My vulnerable self show. To a shade. Maybe Keefe was right. Maybe Tam just wasn't going to be the one for me. I took in a large, ragged breath. I felt my jaw tighten and I exhaled sharply. I couldn't help it anymore. I tried to stand up, but wobbled over. I growled in frustration and crawled over to the steady, solid archway and stood up, leaning on it for support. I whimpered as I remembered past events.

"YOU LISTEN! I'm tired of listening. I listened to my parents insulting me and Linh. I listened to... The thought drifted away when I started to cry again. Had he really just... I hiccupped uncontrollably while trying to inhale, miserably failing. I groaned in frustration and picked up my home crystal. I held it up to the light shakily. It created a huge light beam. I stared at the facet before stepping in and croaking, "Havenfield."

Once I arrived, I ran straight into my room. "Sophie, are you alright-" I didn't hear anything else Grady said before running to my room and slamming the door. I screamed. I couldn't hold in all my feelings at once. Rage, guilt, sadness, fear, confusion... I felt my jaw clench and my vision blurred. I felt a tear slide down my face and I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand irritatedly. Why couldn't I stop crying? Why wouldn't I stop crying?

I glared at the floor and scowled. I didn't do anything wrong. He was just an accuser. An accuser who had just made a very bad mistake. I sniffed and rubbed my puffy eyes again. I stood up and walked back downstairs. But before I had made my way down the stairs, I heard Grady and Edaline talking.

"Have you seen Sophie yet?" asked Grady worriedly. "No. Why?" The sound of clothing rustled. "She was sobbing her eyes out when she arrived. I asked her how she was, but she had already run upstairs and slammed the door." I peeked out of the stairs and saw Grady nervously twiddling his thumbs. Edaline looked worried.

I took a deep breath and stepped out of the stairway. I saw Edaline gasp and cover her mouth. Grady looked pale. "Sophie, are you... are you alright?" asked Grady. I looked at them weakly. "Yes..." Edaline rushed over to me. "You don't look alright, Sophie." she said. I sighed. "No, really. I'm- i'm... I'm not alright!" I burst out. I felt the tears threatening to break out. I felt a tear stubbornly slip out. Edaline hugged me. "Are you alright, dear?" she asked, patting my back.

I wept into her shoulder. "What happened?" Grady asked. Edaline looked at me. It was Fitz. I transmitted to her. She jumped, then her face softened. Then hardened. "What happened with him?" she asked. I sighed. "Well, I went over to apologize, but-" "Wait a minute. What with Fitz?" asked Grady. I looked up at Edaline fearfully. I didn't want Grady to know what had happened, much less be held down with the guilt of my adoptive father hurting another teenager.

Edaline looked at me for approval and I defeatedly nodded. She shot Grady a look that clearly said, Not now. I felt Grady walk closer to us before he retreated outside. I looked at Edaline, her figure blurry. "Now, what really happened?" she asked. I took a deep, ragged breath and told her everything. Fitz. Tam. Me. US. She looked at me with shock as I mentioned me and Tam, but she had quickly recovered. I ended the story in a mess.

She nodded and sighed. Then she gave me a tiny black bottle. "It's night time. use this to sleep. One drop for each eye." she ordered. I nodded wearily, too tired to care if it was a sedative or not. I trudged to my bed, not caring about how I never changed, dropped drops of the silvery liquid into my eyes, let the beautiful picture settle in, and I cried myself to sleep.

누아르 is a bop yall