Chapter 20: First Times

"What the heck is New York?"

It was Friday and I was packing my things for a one week stay at New York - yes, New York. The city of dreams, the concrete jungle. To be perfectly honest, I'm expecting my face to be covered in icky pimples from the stress and the pollution I'd be experiencing there. So why am I going to New York, you say?

I'm going to college.

It was an impulsive decision for me to reply to their mail. Me and Vicky had already entered the entrance examination before our graduation and I had just received the results yesterday, replying that 'I would perfectly be glad to be present for the assessment and enrollment processing day at New York University'. I wonder if Vicky got her mail?

"It's a city, probably larger than North Carolina, I think." I shrugged. "You know what? I really don't know. All I know is that I'll be leaving you here for a week and then if I get in, you're going back with me." I told Poseidon.

"We're moving?" Zeus asked. "Yeah, we are. Vicky and I bought a huge apartment near my university because we were pretty sure we were getting in. And since I can't leave you guys in this house alone where you can hypothetically conduct a disastrous fireworks show, I'm going to let you guys tag along. I'm sure the apartment's big enough for us."

"Why are you even going to New York?" Athena asked. "I'm going to study on how to be a teacher." I answered instead of saying 'I'm going to college' which would lead to another question. I always wanted to be a Literature professor, and I heard that it would be really hard to be one since you needed your Master's and other shit. And that'd mean me fulfilling my dream as a middle aged woman and work until I die. What a happy life.

They nodded. I sighed. The trip to New York was over 11 hours and I needed to be there on Monday. Let's say I allowed myself to stop by at a gas station and sleep for at least 5 hours, and that's over 16 hours. And then there's the traffics and drive-thrus which I wish would only take up one hour altogether, and voila! I got myself a 17 hour drive.

AND I ALSO NEED TO FINALIZE MY PACKING. "Well, I left you guys some canned goods and cup noodles and other things that I'm sure Hera and Aphrodite can cook. It'll only be for four days, tops." I said, zipping my already full luggage. "And don't be scared if my face is literally covered with red stuffs with white sauce protruding from it because I won't be in the mood to even answer that question."

They were snickering, and I smiled. I know they'd find that funny. Especially Hermes. His humor is low like a low tide. Yeah, I know that one was lame. Forget it and let's move on. "So, you'll be safe, right?" Poseidon asked me as he helped carry my luggage out. "Of course, I will. I need to get back to you guys and do those insanely hard tasks which almost killed me on the first one." I smiled sarcastically.

He laughs. "Well, be safe for me."

"I will."

"Oh my god, get a room you two!" Hera teased, and they snickered again. Said the one who always had PDA across her face. "Shut up Hera, don't pretend like you don't do it!" I said, and almost immediately, Hermes' face lit up. "White Chicks?"

"White Chicks." I nodded and he grinned. "Yeah, be safe, Yhanie. We'll miss you."

"I'll miss you." Poseidon wrapped his arms around me and I scowled. He's too clingy today. Nah, I don't blame him. His girlfriend was going away and this would be the last time he'd get too close to a girl for the next four days.

I swear if he gets beyond 10 inches with Athena, Aphrodite or Hera, I will fucking kick the both of them out of my house. "They're going to miss you because no one is going to cook for them." Poseidon added, laughing.