Chapter 31: The Other Girl

"Enough bullshit. Let's get out of here." Zeus said while standing up from the couch. "Go home, Aaron. Tell Chiron that we can take care of ourselves. Besides, he's supposed to be protecting you demigods, not us." They were all headed to the door while I remained standing beside the bed. Poseidon turned around and looked straight at me. "Let's go, Brianna." He said sharply, tilting his head at the open door. I shook my head and sat on the mattress. "I'll stay here for awhile."

"Don't be irrational, Yhanie. Let's go."

"What's irrational about this?" I said, furrowing my eyebrows. "I need to talk to him. Besides, I owe him my life. You go." I softened my tone when I realized that we can't stay like this forever. The time will come when I'll have to talk to him again. "I'll talk to you when I get home." I added. He heaved a deep breath and walked over to me. He looked calm. "Be careful." He planted a kiss on my forehead before walking out the door, not forgetting to glare at Aaron to threaten him. Aaron closed the door after him and looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "What?" I asked, uncomfortable with the way he was looking at me.

He shrugged. "You told him you wanted to talk to me." He pointed out. I nodded. He sat down beside me and took a sip from his mug. "What's Chiron like?" I asked off the top of my head. I never really intended to talk to him. I just didn't want to go home with the others yet. He slackened his shoulders and looked at the ceiling. "Hm, I honestly don't know what to say. I'm not one of those kids who's close with him or what not. He talks to the special ones; you know, kids whose parents are important. And I'm not."

"Well you must be something." I replied. "You were sent out here anyway."

"I volunteered." He said. "For so long, I wanted to see them. The Olympians. I thought that if I came down here, I could talk to your boyfriend and ask questions about my mom." I tried to hide my cringe when he mentioned his mom and I was once again reminded that Poseidon had a wife. "It turns out he was an asshole. All of them. I'm disappointed." He laughed. He looked at me and raised an eyebrow, probably out of habit. "There's something about you, Woods. I can't quite put a finger on it but I know you're fucking special. You're something."

I smiled. "I am putting up with them for months now. Of course I'm something." I said. I stared at his ceiling and sighed. "I just wish I wasn't." I complained. I looked back at him and groaned. "I want to think that what happened at NYU was a terrorist attack. I don't want to think that this psychotic sea monster came and  attacked me. No, I want that idea out of my head. I'm supposed to be normal."

"We can't be normal." Aaron said. He hugged me and started rubbing my back. "I usually comfort girls and have sex after, but you're an exception." He joked. I laughed even though legit tears were flowing down my face. He stopped hugging me and looked at me. "Best of luck, Yhanie Woods. God knows you're going to need it." He said while wiping my tears away. I smiled. He kissed me on my forehead and stood up. He walked towards the door and opened it. "Now get out of my room."

"Geez, how comforting." I smirked. I hugged him one last time and grinned at him. "Thank you, Aaron. You take care." I said. I was about to leave when he grabbed my wrist and made me look back at him. "Go to Asfalis. You belong there." He muttered.

"Someday." I smiled and then I left.

While I was walking home, I walked past the university. Police cars were everywhere and media vans were camping out by the streets. "Authorities are baffled as to why NYU was an option for a terrorism attack, but they weigh that terrorists are randomly choosing an attack site. It is truly unfortunate that NYU was hit by this dreadful event." One of the reporters said, not bothering to take her eyes off the camera. Terrorist attack, huh? I wish I could mindlessly believe it.