19. ALL THAT REMAINS

A week had now passed since the destruction of the castle. The local newspaper at the beginning of the week had depicted an aerial image of the remains with the headline reading MYSTERY EXPLOSION STILL UNSOLVED.

By the end of the week, however, the local newspapers and television channels had lost interest in the phenomenom, choosing instead to cover the recent tax increase that had so many people up in arms.

On her recent visits to school and the nearest village, Sandy caught snippets of conversations about the explosion, many speculating the cause. The most radical one Sandy heard was between two elderly gentlemen, who claimed that the explosion was down to the government, and their efforts to wipe out any old buildings that may be costing the tax payers too much money, thus leading to the recent increase.

Several authorities were still trying their hardest to find a cause for what had happened, drawing up blanks every time. Quite a few locals had taken to passing through the forest deliberately, trying to get a glimpse of the destruction, only to be warded off by the police securing the vicinity.

Firemen had been digging through the rubble, unearthing charred bits of wood and large clumps of brick. The whole forest was closed off while the investigations took place, and the island that housed the once magnificent castle was surrounded with police tape and busy with investigators.

Recently, the Drewett's were visited by the police for questioning. Being the closest house to the blast, it was simply procedure. Sandy remembered two of them dropping in a couple of days after the explosion, one who had a booming voice that could have rattled the house, and the other a quiet young man taking notes as his superior questioned the Drewett's. The conversation was fairly brief, and the Drewett's were very co-operative.

"So, can you tell me where you were during the incident?" the deep voiced policeman had asked.

"We were asleep," Mr Drewett had replied, watching the young officer scribble on his pad. "We had fallen asleep on the sofa and did not awake until the explosion."

"And did you notice anything suspicious during the night? Anyone loitering nearby?"

"No, I'm sorry. I can't remember seeing anyone around. Can you dear?" asked Mr Drewett, as he turned to his wife.

"No, I didn't," Mrs Drewett had replied. "Something like that we would have noticed straight away. Not many people come down this way. Why? Do you think it was deliberate?"

"At the moment we cannot say. There seems to be no sign of foul play at this stage. However, there was no power going into the building as far as we were aware, soit also seems very unlikely that there was any electrical cause. Frankly, we're completely stumped! What about your children? Would they have noticed anything?"

"Well, we have asked but I'm afraid they also saw nothing." Mrs Drewett had replied, deciding not to mention her daughter disappearing that night. She could not believe for one possible minute that Sandy was involved. Besides, she was only nine years old.

"Well, that'll do for now I suppose," said the officer, standing up and returning his cap to his head. "If we need any more info, we'll be sure to drop in."

"Certainly," Mrs Drewett had said, following the two men to the front door. "I'm sorry we couldn't be of any more help."

"No problem. Have a good day."

After the visit, Sandy felt less concerned. It appeared that the police were struggling to find answers.

As the weekend rolled past, it certainly seemed that the dust was settling in the sleepy village, although Sandy would miss hearing the many theories between the locals about the cause of the explosion. Nevertheless, it looked as though the nymphs would remain undiscovered.