Drops of Jupiter

I honestly hoped that no one was looking at me because I probably looked like a complete fool with my mouth hanging open and my eyes wide in disbelief. I looked over at Katrina's table and there were huge grins on her and her sidekick's flawless faces. They clearly knew who Dalton was and I bet that Katrina's daddy even booked him to sing just for Katrina. I know that jealousy is a terrible thing, but how could I not be jealous? She lives in a mansion three times the size of my house and for Christmas her parents bought her a Mercedez. But the main thing that upset me, was that she had a dad and I would have to live the rest of my life without mine.

As Dalton tuned his guitar, I kept wondering how Katrina had heard of Dalton. Maybe he was just a you tube star or something. "Aloha everyone and thanks for coming out tonight. I heard that we have a birthday here today. So I thought we would start off by singing happy birthday to my biggest fan, Katrina Sutton." I hated her more than ever at that moment. The attention always had to be on her. But it was her birthday and it was nice of Dalton to acknowledge it.

Everyone joined in: Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Katrina!

happy birthday to you!

Once the audience settled down, Dalton spoke into the mic. "The first song I will sing is a cover of 'I won't give up' by Jason Mraz." That was one of my favorite songs at the moment and I was excited to hear his voice for the first time.

"When I look into your eyes.." he began. I'm not sure if I was day dreaming but it felt like he aimed his gaze directly on me. His voice was so unique and perfect. He also played guitar better than anyone I had ever heard.

"I won't give up on us, even if the sky gets rough, I'm giving you all my love, I'm still looking up." When he strummed the last chord and let it fade out, I got chills up and down my spine.

The applause was huge and Dalton said," Thank you so much, but I'm not that good." He was humble which was good. "Now Im going to sing 'Drops of Jupiter' by Train. This is a pretty old song but it sort of launched my singing career.

"Now that she's back in the atmosphere, with drops of Jupiter in her hair." A tear escaped my eye as soon as he started. That song brought back loads of memories. My dad and I would always sing along to it, whenever and wherever we were. My mom called it the 'daddy daughter duo song'. I looked back at the kitchen and was surprised to see my mom there with wet eyes. I quietly got up and ran into my mom's comforting arms. We had never been as close ever since my dad died. "I'm sorry momma," I sniffed. "Don't be," she gave me a warm smile and I knew it was Ike for a change.