Makaio's Story

Makaio's P.O.V.

"Hi! Nice to meet you all. I'm Makaio"

"I'm the fastest, coolest, smartest, strongest!..."

"Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's start over"

"Hi. I'm Makaio. I'm here to tell you all my story"

"So, I guess, let's get on with it then, shall we?..."

"Gift of God" (Makaio's Birth)

October 9th, 2010~

It was a dark and grey evening as the trainers and whales of Shamu Stadium were all gathered in a commotion. They had canceled the shows for the rest of the night as something very special was happening involving a very pregnant killer whale named Katina. 

And that's how I was born at a magical place called Seaworld Orlando. 

The funny looking aliens, who I later found out were called people, specifically Trainers, named me Makaio. My name means "Gift of God" and I guess you can say I truly am a gift from God as just that.

My parents are Katina (Mom), and Tilikum (Dad). I was the 4th calf born to them and Katina's 7th and last calf overall. Interesting fact, I was also born just days after my mom's oldest calf and my oldest half sister Kalina passed away on October 4th. So I guess you can say I was everybody's little miracle.  

I have two older brothers (from my mom's side), Taku and Ikaika. I've never met them, but I'm glad to know I at least have brothers. Others like my nephew Trua weren't so lucky. I also have four sisters (from my mom's side), Kalina, Katerina, Unna and my big sister Nalani, who still lives with me to this day. 

There's a first in Everything (Baby's 1st)

Pretty soon I began performing with my mom in shows. This show was known as 'Believe', though I hardly remember a thing since I was just a baby and just swam around the pool while my mom did all the work, pleasing the audience.  

I met everyone else in the pod, got to know my trainers, making friends, etc. 

One of my favorite things, as all baby orcas was sneaking up on my trainers and splashing them. I always won *give little smug look*.

I even overheard Nalani and the other older whales discuss about the most strangest of things about are trainers used to being able to swim in the water with us. 

'What was that all about?' I thought to myself. 

I was about to ask them, that is until my mom came in and sharply gave the other orcas a warning look. She knew I was too young to hear the whole story then. I still wondered about it all the time though...

The Story of Dawn

One day, mom sat me down to finally tell me the entire story. She figured I was old enough now to know what really happened. We were alone in one of the smaller back pools where it was quite and away from all the others. 

She had told me I wasn't born when any of this happened, but there used to be an amazing thing called "Waterworks". That's when trainers would get in the water with us and perform stunningly behaviors like jumping off the tip of our noses, or suffering on our backs. It all seemed so great, till one day they just stopped. 

"But why?" I asked her in confusion. "And why can't I see my dad?" I then added. 

My dad Tilikum and I had chat a few times together through the gates but it was just not the same. I hardly ever saw him at all and I wanted to know why.