The Run

Ceridwen's POV

Two days passed since my mates punishment and he barely spoke other than to let me know what we were doing that day and he never once touched me. When we slept he kept to his side of the bed and allowed me to sleep. Meals were brought to the house and we never left. This run he spoke of seemed to be very important to him for he was telling me of the day every morning.

When the day arrived he seemed overjoyed. He picked up my hand and dragged me out the door and down the road lit by moonlight. We were met a river of pack members who all remained silent. I could feel the energy moving from one person to the other. The excitement. They barely looked forward for the moon above seemed to draw their eyes and they were unable to look away. We walked until we reached the edge of the woods and everyone started pulling off their clothes. 

There were females in this group. Unmated females. These women were showing their naked bodies to everyone in the pack and no one seemed to notice. These women needed to be punished. They needed to be retrained and forced to learn their place. Who had let this occur? I looked up at Darien and found his eyes on me. Had he been watching me? Waiting for my reaction? 

I looked again at the women and then at him hoping for an answer but I didn't dare ask. It was not my place to question his actions. He did not seem concerned by this break in protocol. Were these women special in some way. 

Then the cries rang out. A flood of scent ripped from their bodies and flooded the woods. The smell of the woods combined with their flesh. The skin tore from their bodies and became mangled and torn. The crack of bones breaking forced itself into my ears and I tried to shut it out. Why wouldn't it stop? I had never seen the change in such a mass before. Each and every person there was remodeled into the shape of their wolves. From tan to black they stood looking at Darien and waited. 

"Run" he whispered. A howl broke out and the wolves turned and ran. In different directions they scattered playing and hunting in the moonlight. They were having fun. Was this what the run was supposed to be? Anna came up to us and looked at Darien as if they had decided something and then they turned to me. 

"It's time to change mate". Darien kneeled and began taking off one of his shoes.

"Should I undress?" Darien winced slightly and nodded. I looked at Anna and she had started doing the same. They dropped their clothes in piles and bent to the ground forcing the change to occur. Neither made a noise as it happened. It was smoother than the others. Easier. They seemed to just flow between the shapes as if there was nothing more natural in the world. They stood before me both dauntingly large and a liquid brown. Their eyes glowed yellow and you knew that they we alphas. Anna nipped at my mates ear and they seemed to speak to each other without words. 

He nudged my hand with his muzzle and I realized. I hadn't obeyed. I had ignored his wishes. What had I done? I could feel the pressure in my chest and tore out of the clothes dropping them one by one to the ground until I stood before them naked. I could feel the moonlight on my skin and it felt warm and comforting. Anna turned and ran leaving me there with him. 

"Change" came the voice in my head. It was him. He was speaking to me the same way he had spoken to her. 

"Change?" I responded. 

"Yes you can run here." 

"I can?"

"Of course. This is your home now and you can run whenever you wish."

I bent down to the ground like he had and looked down at my naked body willing it to change from flesh to fur. 

Nothing happened. 

I couldn't do it. I didn't know how. Change was forbidden. It was kept sacred for those who deserved such a blessing and I was nothing more than the bastard whore of the Alpha. Unmated and left by my mother. Why would I ever be allowed to change? 

"You're nothing more than a toy but since you're my daughter you're at least going to be a good trade. They can make a brood bitch out of you." my father's words came back to me. He had given me everything that I deserved. Everything that I needed to fulfill my purpose and I had failed. I had become like my mother. I couldn't do as he asked. I couldn't change. I looked up into the eyes of my mate with horror. 

"I'm sorry. Im so sorry." I said and waited.