18

Cal lands in Miguel's side yard. The yard is more like a field and stretches from the right wall of his house.

Miguel leads us inside and assigns rooms.

"It's like a boarding house. Or refugee center." Odeo says.

Miguel smiles sheepishly.

"Like I said, you can trust me." He glance at Gabby with a raised eyebrow and she looks away.

I follow Gabby up to the room we shared the first time we came to Miguel's house.

"So now I'm thinking you knew about when to trust him and when not to trust him because you had an experience." I say, as she closes the door. She pauses before looking at me.

"And what else do you think?"

"You were together. Together together. And something happened which makes you unsure if you can fully trust him again."

She laughs dryly and sits on the bed. "Serene, you can really be a spy."

"I have no idea how to fight, be stealthy, or plan on the spot." I argue lightly.

She shakes her head. "It's not just about that. You can observe things fast. That's important."

I sit beside her and we stare out the window.

"Guess we have to change."

She chuckles. "Yes. There should be dark shades of clothes in the closet. Just what I like."

She stands to get her choice of clothes and she heads to the bathroom.

I feel a buzz in my ear and press the earpiece still locked into my ear.

"Come down when you're ready."

"Got it." I reply.

Gabby finishes and it's my turn. I choose a fitting black shirt and black and gray camo-pants. Gabby and I have matching black combat boots.

"I love how all our friends have everything we need." I say, looking at us in the mirror.

She smiles, a genuine one.

"Let's go."

I follow her downstairs where the others wait, changed into dark clothes too.

My gaze lingers on Valerie since seeing her in dark colors is new for me.

She's wearing a dark gray fitting shirt with black high waisted pants. Her black boots reach her knees and she smiles at me.

"Shocking, isn't it?" Carlos asks, standing beside her.

I smile and nod.

Miguel gestures for us to sit around the table in the farthest living room of the house.

"We need to discuss our next move because as far as I'm concerned, we don't know what to do with Serene or mystery girl." Miguel states, giving Odeo a meaningful glance.

Odeo looks around the room, nervous.

"Well, we need the doctors, that's for sure. They'll know how to help Serene." Gabby suggests.

Cal agrees. "I'll be heading back to Streak anyway. I'll pick them up and bring them here."

"Cal, are you sure? That's a long flight." I say.

He shrugs it off. "Not the most dangerous thing I've done for Carlos."

Carlos scratches his head with a shy smile.