2

Thirteen years later

Hannah had talked with the town leaders, and they all agreed for me to stay at Hannah's. After waking up in a nearly empty hospital room and running away from it with no memories save for one, I'm pretty lucky to have met Hannah.

The town is quite small and there are no hotels in the area for me to stay in. The lovely woman I met just as I walked into town, offered me a place to stay.

Hannah was delighted and I was grateful.

As for the moment, I'm sitting on a comfy bed in my new room.

"My son will be home soon. In this small town, school only lasts half a day. The rest are for chores." Hannah says, looking at dresses in the closet. "We've got to find you something to wear."

I look down at my hospital dress and back up at her. Hannah's holding a dress similar to her's but this one has flowers as polka dots.

"Are you positive that I'm to wear that dress?" I ask.

Hannah nods her head. "You are my guest, and as a guest in my house, you must have a proper dress, and a beautiful one at that." She smiles at my uncertainty. "My dear, I have no daughter. Please allow me to treat you as such. Now go, change."

I thank her and take the dress to the bathroom.

I walk out and see Hannah's eyes light up.

"A perfect fit." She says, with a wide smile. "You look beautiful, dear."

I can't believe that a woman I just met is so kind to me.

"Thank you. For the dress and hospitality."

She takes my hand and leads me downstairs, when the front door opens.

"Mom? I'm ho-"

He stops talking when we make eye contact.

He seems to be my age. Nineteen. His black hair and bright blue eyes make him look quite handsome.

"You must be the new girl." He says with a welcoming smile.

I smile back. "Yeah."

He stretches out a hand. "Odeo."

I shake his hand. "Serene."

"Where're you from?" He asks, as we walk to the living room. We sit down on the couch and Hannah brings cups of lemonade and sandwiches.

"I-I don't know." I admit.

He looks at me with question. "How did you get here?"

I shrug. "I just kept walking through the forest till I reached this town."

He nods his head with a serious look on his face, like a detective putting pieces of a puzzle together.

"Do you remember anything?" He asks.

"Odeo, please. Let her enjoy a little rest. Don't pester her with questions." Hannah scolds.

I chuckle. "It's alright, Hannah. I don't mind answering a few questions. I like talking, anyway."

Odeo gives his mom an 'I told you so' look and I give out a small laugh.