the welcoming

Braelyn looked over her outfit in the mirror one last time as she bounced in anticipation

Braelyn looked over her outfit in the mirror one last time as she bounced in anticipation. The kids from the Isle were arriving today and she wanted to make the best impression, for both hers and her brother's sakes.

She had chosen a white dress that was held up by four thin straps. The middle was cut out, leaving a lace flower pattern to cover her skin. She had laced up the white heels currently secured on her feet before double checking to make sure her necklace and ring were on.

"Forgetting something?" Ben's voice called from behind her. Braelyn spun around to see her tiara in his hand. The sunlight reflected off the silver jewels, casting sparkles throughout the room.

The princess groaned and walked towards him. "Do I have to?"

Ben offered her a smile and tucked the metal piece between her braided hair. "Dad's orders, not mine. It won't be for long, I promise."

The princess nodded as her fingers moved up to play with the crown. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy wearing the piece. She just felt like it was unnecessary. Majority of those in Auradon already knew who she was. She didn't need a crown to signify it further.

"Nobody else has to wear these," The twin mumbled as she let her hands drop to her side.

Ben looped his arm through hers and began escorting her from their room. "It's a privilege, Brae."

"Oh, Bennyboo! Wait up!"

Braelyn bit her lip to keep from groaning at the shout. Ben's girlfriend, Audrey, was the pure definition of annoying in Braelyn's mind. She was clingy, demanding, and only dated him because of his status. None of that settled with twin princess very well.

Ben pulled his sister to a stop as he waited for Audrey to catch up. Braelyn distracted herself by spinning her ring around her finger. It wasn't that she hated Audrey, she just knew her brother deserved better.

"Whew! I'm so glad to see you!" Audrey cooed as she practically ripped Braelyn's arm away from her brother. "I was not about to see these...freaks without your protection."

"They aren't freaks, Audrey. They're innocent as far as we know," Ben corrected.

Braelyn glared at the dark haired girl clinging to her brother as they continued their walk outside. Various band members and students crowded the school lobby as the trio entered. Audrey began to drag Ben off towards her friends but was stopped.

"Ah, Audrey. Do you mind if I steal our lovely twins for a moment?" Fairy Godmother gave the girl a sweet smile.

"Not at all, Fairy Godmother." Audrey returned the smile before leaning on her tiptoes to place a kiss on Ben's cheek. Braelyn rolled her eyes at the lipstick mark that was left on her brother's cheek when he stepped back. She licked her thumb before reaching up to wipe it away with a smile on her face.