Chapter 22: Saved in the Nick of Time

(Third Person's POV)

"Okay, here's my plan. I take you to your dad. then I will sneak past security and use Wilbur's Dissembler (since I don't have my gadgets with me) to free your friends. After that I can get them out through one of our travel tubes.-" Karen tried explaining.

"Yeah yeah got it. Where is my dad?" (Y/n) interrupted, not really paying much attention.

"He's fine. After I shot him with the E.D.A.T.H. ray-"

"E.D.A.T.H ray?"

"That was the gun I shot him with while he was talking to you in the interrogation room you were in underground."

(Y/n) stared so blankly at Karen that she sighed loudly.
"Remember when you were tied up in that room after being captured and John came in to talk to you."

"Oh."

"Yeah so anyway after that I threw him in a prison room. The guy who helped you escape is actually a good friend of your dad. They were former roommates in another city or something. So when he found out about your dad being imprisoned after trying to help you, he managed to help him escape, promising to help you escape also. Your dad is at the house he bought underground where he wanted to take you so you could be safe until he stopped us."

"How do you know that?"

"Know what?"

"That he was gonna try stopping you? He didn't tell me that."

"I saw on the footage of our surveillance cameras."

"But why do you want to help me now when you wanted to kill me before?"

"It's a very long story," Karen replied, rubbing her temples.

"I won't leave till I have a full explanation," (Y/n) said bitterly.

Karen took a deep breath to calm herself down.
"Look, (Y/n), let me repeat this slowly so you understand. We have. No. TIME!"

"WHY?"

"Because my boss who is basically a robot has been abducting every citizen out of this city and imprisoned them so he can kill them all at once, then do the same thing to every spot of the globe so he can rule the entire earth and re-populate it with artificially intelligent robots!" Karen exclaimed.

(Y/n)'s body grew stiff.
"W-what?" she asked, starting to feel her body shake.

Karen leaned her head back and covered her face with her hands.
"It's all my fault!" she wailed. "If only I knew! I would go back to that day and stop myself!"

"What do you mean?" asked (Y/n) quietly, surprised with Karen's sudden emotional behavior.

"June 23, 2008. I wanted a friend. I was crippled and lonely. I found out that a boy named Lewis who lived in the observatory near my home could build all sorts of things. I went to his house and asked if he could make me a robot that could take care of me. He was nice enough to do that but after several years my robot friend decided that he was too good for the human race. And he wanted me to help him take over the world."

Meanwhile...

"Everyone has been put away except for (Y/n) (M/n) (L/n) and Karen. Turns out the robots we sent to retrieve (Y/n) were destroyed, and Karen's whereabouts are still unknown..."

A.I.R. wouldn't even look at the guard as he spoke nervously, but only stared at his desk with his face nicely resting on his cold fist.
"That sure is a delayed status report, isn't it Brandon?" he said after the guard finished.