Chapter Twenty-One

Carter had thought it was a dream when he woke up the next morning, a thick stream of sunlight hitting him right in the face. He turned over in bed, vague thoughts of what a weird dream circling around his head. That was until he remembered that it was, in fact, not a dream. He shot out of bed, breathing heavily with wide eyes. It was real, he thought.

There was no way that he was getting back to sleep, so he performed the arduous tasks of his morning routine, his thoughts jumping from where is my toothbrush to so that's why Alex suddenly gained so much muscle to this is a nice shirt to wear today to so that's why Alex didn't like the guys on their first day and back and forth many times as he got ready.

Finding out that not only are werewolves real (which he thought was pretty damn cool) but that Alex, Archer and even Cole were werewolves was a lot for one guy to process. He couldn't help but feel anger towards Archer, who had lied to him repeatedly, and probably only taken him on that date to somehow blackmail or hurt Alex.

He supposed that maybe he should feel the same anger towards Alex, he had been lying to him way longer, but he just didn't. It was probably that Alex lied to protect him as to why he didn't feel mad at him at all. In fact, he felt sorry for Alex, for stupid Alex for thinking that he would ever hurt those he loved, and for pulling away from him and his family so much. Alex was in such a bad place when he got back from Italy and he had no one to help him, he was all alone with his problems, so Carter didn't really blame him for joining Jakes circle of obnoxious idiots, and Carter was even somehow thankful towards Jake for being there for Alex when there wasn't really anyone else who could help.

"Carter?" Lara was suddenly knocking on the bathroom door. Carter opened the door, a toothbrush in his mouth.

"Yeah?" he mumbled out around the toothbrush.

"You should leave now otherwise you'll be late for school," she told him.

"What? I have ages."

"Not according to this," she told him, pointing to the clock on her phone that indicated that he was in fact close to being late.

Damn all this thinking about Alex, Carter thought to himself, realising that he had indeed lost track of the time.

"Thanks Lara," he told her before throwing his toothbrush in the sink and quickly running past her into his room. He grabbed his bag off the floor, throwing his phone into it without even turning it on and practically running out of the house.

He pulled up to school just before the bell for first period rang, and he briefly wondered what he was going to do about Archer as he pulled his keys from the ignition. As it turns out, he probably should have wondered about that before getting to school, as Archer was sitting on the steps leading up to the main doors, blocking Carters way. There were no other people around and Carter assumed that everyone must have already gone inside in preparation for class to start. Archer looked miserable, sitting on the top stair alone, looking off into the distance.

Carter walked up to him slowly, swinging his backpack over his shoulders as he approached him. Archer looked like he hadn't slept in days, his brown hair was a mess and dark circles rimmed his eyes. A bandage covered his lower left arm, and other smaller bandages were wrapped around his body, some on his hands and others on his neck. Carter assumed that the damage continued beneath his black shirt and light blue jeans.

Archer looked up and saw him. "Carter.." he started but Carter cut him off.

"Alex told me everything," he told him strongly taking a threatening step towards him. "I know why you're here, you bastard."

Archer looked taken aback, his eyes widening. "Carter, please, I didn't mean to almost bite you, I promise, and dating you had nothing to do with Alex, you have to believe me."