Chapter Three

The fifteen minute drive to the airport seemed to stretch out for an unimaginable amount of time as Carter tapped his fingers impatiently against the dash, his eyes focused on the horizon, just waiting to see the airport in the distance. His mother seemed to be unaware of his impatience as she drove a few miles under the speed limit, casually humming to the song on the radio. Carter knew that he had good reasons to ask his mother to drive, that way on the way to the restaurant he and Alex would be able to sit in the back and talk, but as Carter huffed at his mother's compliance with road regulations he wished he was the one behind the wheel.    

Alex had been in Italy to visit his father for two whole months, and Carter had been looking forward to this perfect day for every second of those sixty days. He and his mother were going to drive to the airport, getting there at exactly eleven am, they would meet Alex's mother at the terminal where they would then meet Alex at eleven fifteen. Carter and Alex would have that cliché moment where they would kiss in the middle of the airport, arms wrapped around each other and giant smiles on their faces. Then the four of them would have lunch, where Alex would tell them of his adventures in Italy, and Carter would tell him that he thought of his boyfriend every single day.

It was going to be the perfect day, or so Carter thought.

As they got closer and closer to the airport, Carter couldn't help but think about the last time he had seen Alex. Carter had driven him to the airport, Alex having said goodbye to his mother that morning. Alex had held his hand so tight that his fingers had almost gone numb, but he didn't even care. When they reached the end of the line Alex had turned to him and said,  "I'll miss you" and Carter had replied, "I'll miss you too, remember I'm only a phone call away'"and Alex had promised that he would call as often as he could. Then Alex had smashed their lips together, in what had to have been the most cliché moment of Carters life.

Carter had received phone calls for the first three weeks. Then they had stopped.

He didn't know why, but every time he called he got voicemail, every time he messaged he received no reply and every time he wrote to him there was never a letter waiting in the mail box when he got home.

Eventually he had received an email, stating that Alex had lost his phone and the internet at his father's house was down. That email was a week ago, and it was killing Carter that they hadn't been able to talk for so long.

"Are you alright?"

Carter's mothers voice brought him out of his head as he brought his eyes up to see that they were stopped at a red light and his mother's concerned eyes were on him.

"Yeah, I just.."

"What?"

"I just don't know why Alex didn't really call or message me at all for so long, it's not like him at all."

"I know honey, he must have been really busy in Italy, I'm sure that he will explain it all when we see him."

She made sense. Carter nodded. The light changed to green and off they went.

As they walked into the arrivals area Carter felt like a child lost in a crowd. People on phones were running around, families were herding children around and he was barely able to hear his mother asking him which gate they had to go to over the sounds of the people around them. Somehow they were able to find their way to the gate, where they saw Alex's mother.

Alex's mother was a petite woman, the exact opposite of her son, who towered over her. She wrapped her arms around Carter the second she saw him, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"I feel like I have been without two sons these past months," she told him with a smile. "You better come over for dinner soon!"

"I will." He smiled, stepping over so that his mother could greet Alex's mother as well.

Carter hadn't seen Alex's mother or his little brother since Alex had left. Alex's brother was his half-brother and wasn't related to the father in Italy, so his little brother had stayed behind.

After they exchanged greetings Carter looked around them, trying to figure out where Alex would be coming from.  "Where is the gate?" he asked.

"Oh, just around that corner."  Alex's mother gestured past the wall they were standing next to, and Carter followed the gesture, leaning past the wall to see a group of people waiting next to an arrivals gate. "Why don't you go greet him and we will wait here?"

Carter gave the two women a gracious smile before walking the short distance to the gate. He tapped his foot against the ground impatiently as people started coming out of the gate, families and couples past him, and even though he scanned every face, he didn't see Alex.

He bit his lip as he smiled when he saw a tall boy with dark hair walking in his direction.

Carter flung himself at Alex the second that he was close enough, wrapping arms around his waist and burying his face into Alex's shirt. Carter felt like he was complete for the first time in two months. His arms tightened around Alex but then he realised that Alex's arms were limp at his sides. 

He slowly detached himself from his boyfriend when the boy still made no move to hug him back. Carter brought his confused gaze up to meet Alex's eye line and where he was expecting to find the warm, loving eyes of his boyfriend all he saw was coldness and detachment. His boyfriend was looking at him like he had never seen him before, had never held his hand as they laughed, had never told him that he loved him. He gave Alex a look over, realising that the usually brightly dressed boy was covered in black clothing.

This was nothing like Alex, yet it was Alex.

"Alex, what's wrong?" Carter asked, fear seeping into his words.

"We need to talk." The words were so void of emotion that it scared Carter right to his core.

"What?"

The next words were spoken so harshly and without any trace of emotion that Carter wondered whether this really was his boyfriend standing in front of him. "We need to break up."

"What? Why?" Carters eyes widened in shock at what was happening. This wasn't how the day was supposed to go. Where was the loving boyfriend? Where were the kind words whispered in his ear? Where was his cliché kiss?

"We are done, Carter." 

"What are you talking about?" 

"I don't know how else to explain it to you. We," he gestured between the two of them with slight anger and irritation on his face. "aren't together anymore. I don't want to date you." 

Tears welled in Carters eyes and he fought a losing battle to keep them from falling down his cheeks. Disbelief and hurt swirled around Carters mind as he turned away from Alex and ran. He ran past his and Alex's mother and through the airport, stopping only when he reached their car. He pressed his back up against the side of the car, his head in his hands and tears rolling down his cheeks. Carter's worst nightmare had just come true, and his entire world was crumbling around him.

Carter blinked tears from his eyes as he drew his mind away from one of the most painful memories his mind held.

The phone was still in his hand and he looked down at the silver object, biting at his lip. 

Carter didn't reply to the text. He didn't know what to say.