Chapter Nineteen

He stood in the shadows, fully clothed, hiding between two trees and he felt awfully like one of those old creepers from the horror movies that wait for the teens to have sex before stabbing them in the back with a butchers knife. He half expected some cop to come and accuse him of voyeurism or something as equally creepy.

He watched with pain in his heart as they made out on the bonnet of the car, and just seeing it caused regret and pain to move throughout his veins like a drug. He was moments away from just leaving when he saw Carter pulling away from Archer, and Archer looking away.

This was bad, he could hear the low growls coming from Archer even in the shadows and he could tell that he was losing control. This was what Alex was most worried about, not that Archer would decide to turn Carter, albeit that was a worry nonetheless, but more likely that Archer would inadvertently turn him. It was a full moon after all, and that amplified their emotions and likelihood to turn into their wolves through pure emotion alone. One bite under lost control was enough to turn Carter into one of them, and that wasn't the life he wanted for Carter. He hadn't given up all that he had so that Carter's life could be destroyed too.

He didn't want to expose himself unless he had to, so he stayed in the shadows but he took his shirt and jeans off preemptively, shoving them in his backpack and placing the backpack by the trunk of the tree. He waited in the darkness, aware that he wasn't completely sure what he would do if he turned. It had been months and there was a chance that if he did attach Archer, that he could do some serious harm. That worried Alex, but keeping Carter safe was more important.

Alex didn't even think about it, the moment he saw Archer tackle Carter off of the car and onto the ground he went running, shifting into his wolf as he ran.

The first thing he noticed as he ran towards them, four paws hitting the ground at an inhuman pace, was the way that his senses sharpened and he felt all-round more powerful and purposeful. Then all of his thoughts turned to keeping Carter safe, he growled and kept running.  

He crashed his body straight into Archer's before he was able to clamp his teeth down on Carter's neck. He clamped his teeth into his forearm and growled, a clear warning to stop what he was doing, but Archer turned into his wolf without missing a beat.

The fact that Carter might have seen Archer change into a wolf was at the back of Alex's mind, but he didn't focus on it, instead he reacted as Archer pounced at him, crashing against his side forcefully.

Alex was bigger, and stronger, so he used the momentum to his advantage and pushed Archer down towards the ground and held him there with force until he stopped struggling. It only took a minute for Archer to calm down, and as he was held down, Alex could feel and see him morphing from his wolf into his human form.

"I'm sorry," Archer puffed out in a broken voice.

Alex felt safe enough that Archer wasn't going to do anything stupid, but before he changed back to his human form he swivelled his head around and saw that Carter was gone.

Damn it, he thought, where is he?

Alex changed back into his human form and stood up.

"What on earth were you thinking Archer!?" he yelled, shaking his head. Archer stood up too, and Alex noticed the blood dripping down Archer's arm and the small cuts that racked his body.

"Shut it Alex," Archer shook his head angrily, "the full moon, I couldn't control it." Archer seemed to be already beating himself up about what he had almost done.

"You could have turned him, or worse!" Alex yelled, running a frustrated hand through his hair.

"You bit my arm! God Damn it Alex, were you hiding in the bushes or something the whole time?" Archer hissed out, holding his bleeding arm.