Chapter Eight

Carter nodded his head hesitantly. His brain had turned into chaos for a few moments as the guy who hadn't spoken a word to him in months asked him to go outside and talk.

Alex was almost standing over them, his tall stature looming over the table, but Carter didn't feel threatened. Carter's eyes wondered around the room for half a second to see that most people in the cafeteria had either curious or concerned looks on their faces. By the rumours floating around the school, it was no surprise that people would automatically jump to thinking a fight was going to break out. Carter knew better than that, Alex was the least confrontational person he knew, and he just wanted to talk. 

Talk? What did that mean?

By the angry undertone to Alex's voice, Carter assumed that it wasn't going to be about anything good. Alex had no reason for being angry with Carter, well, that Carter knew of. Carter felt like the world had changed around him in the moments he was taking to Archer. Alex had not spoken a word to him in so long that just hearing his voice was enough to send a spark of memory to his heart. It was a memory laced with pain, but there were good times, there were times back before all of this where Alex's husky voice was the thing that made his heart race. He had to push that back, this wasn't one of those times, this was different. Alex was mad? The reasoning was still a mystery, but there was only one way to find out.

Carter went to stand, but a hand wrapped around his forearm gently, keeping him in place. 'Are you sure this is a good idea? The guy looks like he is going to explode." Archer spoke to Carter, but his eyes were all on Alex. He twisted the word explode, like it meant something, and Carter didn't understand. Alex had never made a violent move toward him in his entire life, so he didn't think he could possibly be in any danger. Taking a second look, Carter could sort of understand why Archer was concerned. Alex's hands were shaking as he clenched and unclenched his fists.

Alex stared down Archer, his gaze swapping from Archers face to the hand which was wrapped around Carter's arm.

Carter needed to cool down this situation, he may not have understood why the two were acting this way, but he did know that a fist fight in the middle of the school cafeteria was not the best way to handle it.

"It's ok, Archer," he patted the hand on his arm and Archer let go with a nod. "I'll be back."

"Carter.." Roxy spoke quietly, using his name as a warning, but her eyes were on Alex. A worried expression filled her face and she shook her head lightly.

"It's alright, I'll be back," Carter repeated, to Roxy this time.

He stood from his seat, silently walking past Alex, making sure not to bump into him as he passed, and made his way to the doors which lead to a large hallway. The hallway was lined with lockers and Carter peered around them to make sure that no one was listening before turning back towards the wall of the hallway where he had heard Alex stop.

"Well?" Carter shrugged, looking at Alex expectantly.

The boy was standing straight, taking deep breaths. His chest cavity rising and falling significantly with every breath. He strangely looked like he was trying to meditate or relax or something. 

"Alex?"

The strange breathing stopped and Alex's eyes came up to meet his. 'I don't think you should hang out with Archer and Cole," Alex spoke very matter-of-factly.

"I'm sorry, what?" Carter asked, almost sarcastically.

"I don't want you hanging out with them," Alex said slowly, yet the harshness in his voice didn't fade. Alex always had a husky voice, but he was never harsh, not that Carter remembered. There was no emotion in his voice, just direction.