Chapter Fourteen

They got up from the table and paid before leaving through the large doors which they came from. They walked towards the shop, keeping a distance between each other, but as they reached the glass doors Alex held the door open for Carter, and Carter brushed past him somewhat awkwardly as he walked towards the counter.

As Carter stood at the counter he looked over all of the flavours, even though he knew exactly what he wanted. The ice-cream parlour was quite large, with ice-cream display cases along the middle and tables and chairs around the room. Along the edges of the room were large booths in bright colours. The shop screamed colour, even the walls featured big, bright patterns and the floors were checkers in bright blue and pink. Just walking into the store was enough to liven Carter's mood significantly. These bring walls were apart of happy memories for him and this was one of the only places that hadn't been tainted since. This place was pure and happy, it reminded him of good times, of laughs and smiles and kisses. There were no bad memories or deep secrets hidden within these walls. Also, this was where he had consumed vast amounts of one of his favourite foods, it was the greatest place on earth.

"Alex, Carter! I haven't seen you two around in a while!" The voice brought Carter out of his internal appreciation of all things ice-cream. He looked up to see Pete, the old man who owned the place. He and Alex had been coming to the shop for years and Pete was there almost every time, serving ice-cream with a smile on his face. The old man was in his late sixties, with thinning grey hair, but he had an optimism that gave him a hint of youth.

"Hey Pete," Alex smiled. "How have you been?"

"Great, yourselves? On a diet or something you two? I haven't seen you two in ages!" he said with a smile.

"Something like that," Alex said with a half-smile, not meeting Carters eyes. Pete didn't know that they had broken up, and Carter was with Alex on not wanting to upset the man who had been kind to them for all these years.

"Would you look at your face boy, that's one nasty bruise you've got there," Pete gave Carter a concerned look as his eyes looked over the bruise on his cheek and jaw. He then turned to Alex. "I trust that you set whoever did that straight?"

Carter had almost forgotten completely about the bruise, in fact, he had almost forgotten about the events of the day all together, being completely enthralled by his unexpected catch up with Alex.

"Yes sir." Alex nodded.

"Good." Pete nodded approvingly. "Men who talk with their fists aren't real men."

Carter nodded. "Amen to that."

Pete straightened up, seemingly happy with their responses. "What can I get you two boys?"

Carter opened his mouth to speak but Alex beat him to it.

"He will have two scoops of mint, in a cup, and I will have two of chocolate in a cone."

Carter almost smiled at the fact that Alex still remembered his order. Alex paid for the ice-cream and Pete handed them both their orders.

Carter automatically crossed the brightly checked floor and went to the booth at the back, sitting and starting to eat before he even realised that the exact spot was where they used to sit every time they went there as a couple.  

"I knew you would sit here," Alex laughed as he sat down opposite Carter, licking a stripe of ice-cream.

"Thank-you for today," Carter said quietly, but just loud enough for him to hear it. "If you weren't there, I honestly don't know what I would have done."

Alex looked disappointed. "I just wish I had gotten there earlier."

"You always do this to yourself." Carter shook his head slightly. "You saved me from probably getting a concussion or even worse. Give yourself some credit, I know that I'm giving it to you."