It's a Mixed Thing

Yesenia:

"Yesi!" my sister warned. The cops are on our trail. Hector and Elle kept up behind us. They're apart of the DLBK gang. Dope Latino Bang Killas. There are a few Latinas in the gang too. Including me and my sister. We've been apart of it since I can remember. It's been so long. Half of the crew had separated from us when we all heard sirens. Lasi and I ran off too late. We were too busy doing other shit to notice everyone clearing it. That's why the cops are on us now. I helped push Lasi up the wooden gate. Hector helped push me up the gate and I hopped over.

"Yesic'mon! We can't wait for them!" Lasi yelled. Tears streaming down her face she's so scared. I won't let anything happen to my little sister.

I grabbed her wrist and we took off. We jumped wired fences. The patio lights of different houses turned on as we ran from backyard to backyard. The minute we hit the corner we took off in the opposite direction. We had to split up.

The next thing I know. Red and blue lights are flashing and cops are pinning me down against the grass telling me my Miranda rights. People walking out of their houses watching as the police placed me in the back of their cruiser. All I can think about is that I hope Lasi got away and she is safe.

Not did I know my thirteen year old sister will be doing time with me.

*Present*

Cell B-29 opened. I fully opened my hazel eyes. I get released today. Lasiaira gets released too. I looked over at the four girls sleeping in their bunks. All of them waking up to the sound of the detention officers telling us to get up.

The officers wore a green uniform. Officer Rez stood in front of the door with Decor. Rez is Caucasian and she has blue eyes and blonde hair which she always wears in a ponytail. Decor is an overweight, black male with dreads.

Rez isn't as rough as Decor but I can't stand the police either way.

The metal from the beds shook as the girls began to get up. The one above shook as Seneca hopped down. I tossed the red sheet off my sweating body and got up. I tucked the red sheet on the sides of the hard mat. Straightening my pillow I stood behind the five girls. I always slept in my shower slides because it's mandatory to take a shower in the morning and I'm not catching anything while in here. It's like a jail in here and I hate it.

"Yesenia and Lisa you have kitchen duty this morning after showers," Rez ordered and took out her keys. I hate kitchen duty. Helping make food for these bitches ain't no joke. I'm ready to get released.

"Lets go." she led us out into the hall to join the rest of the girls in B block. There's about thirty of us standing out here. My sister Lasiaira is in C block. I only get to see her when their block is heading to showers. Only a glance away. I stay strong for the both of us. We been locked up in the detention center for two years. That's how long I haven't seen Mamior Papa. They stopped visiting after the third month. I don't blame them.

After all the shit we put them through I'm surprised they haven't sent us away into the system.

I keep my head up as I walk. My blonde & black hair cascading my face. Damn. I can't wait to get my hands on some weed when I get out.

I notice a few girls glaring my way. I touch my lip that's cut from a recent fight the other week. I have a slick mouth and I hold my own. I've been in about fourteen fights since I got here. I've been in out of different cells but no matter where I go I seem to find trouble. The cell I'm in now I don't seem to have any trouble with those girls. They're chill as hell but that don't mean we all cool. We have arguments from time to time.