ON WATTPAD: Featured, Premium, Stars, Oh My

3/27/18

3/27/18

In this chapter I'm going to cover a variety of topics. The featured list that I already mentioned earlier in this book, the Stars program, TalentScouts, Premium, and Futures. Some of these programs are invite only and, frankly, I don't know much about them since I'm not a part of them. But I can at least provide a broad overview of what they are.

I'll start with the featured list because that one I do have personal experience with. I've been a featured author twice on Wattpad with both Freelander and Guardian of Calandria. The featured list is the cream of the crop, the list everyone wants to get on, but only a few can. Both the times I've been on the list was back when you filled out a form to submit your story or someone else. Within the past year they changed the way to apply. The form is gone so you can no longer submit someone else to be featured and it's now just a tag, #featured. You don't have to tag your story to get noticed for featured. It helps, but it's not required. Lurking members of the Wattpad HQ could stumble across your book and decide it fits one of their lists.

With the change over to the tag they also added additional lists as I mentioned in the reading chapter. Every list under the featured list will change depending on Wattpad's themes, so I'm not going to go into those. I'll strictly talk about the general featured list.

Clicking on the featured list will bring you to the books featured at the time. Each book will be up for a minimum of 14 days before being swapped out for another book. At the time of my posting this, there were 24 books on the list. When you think about how many books there are on Wattpad, that's really not a lot of books. That's how competitive the list is.

What does being featured get you? Exposure plain and simple

What does being featured get you? Exposure plain and simple. It used to be you'd get a shout out on facebook and twitter by Wattpad, but I haven't seen that done in a while so I'm not sure they're doing it any more. Being on this list shows readers that you have the quality Wattpad looks for. They don't read each of these books in their entirety, there isn't time, but they do read some of them. To get tapped for featured is an honor.

The downside to it being a tag now is again the fact you can't submit someone else to be featured. I never would've gotten on the list the first time if not for someone else submitting me. Hell, I'm not sure I'd have the courage to have submitted myself the second time if not for that first time. So I am a little bummed about that change, but I am happy they added a time limit to how long stories are on the list. I was on the list for a combined one year and eight months between the two books, that's just too long.