ON WATTPAD: The Ambassadors of your life

3/28/18

3/28/18

My Wattpad portion of this guide is winding to a close, but before I move on, I want to have some love for our mods aka ambassadors. Who are these ninjas who lurk in the shadows? Well, remember how I keep stressing to read the rules? The ambassadors enforce those rules. They also run the community pages and are there to help answer any question or concern you might have. They're the community face of Wattpad.

Wattpad is a fairly small company so it would be impossible for them to be everywhere and anywhere. The ambassadors are their answer to that.

Unfortunately the ninjas get a bad rap on here. They're the unofficial official face of Wattpad and thus that leaves them to be the victims of the full brunt of discord on this site. I've seen them accused of being bias, accused of attacking other users, accused of favoritism in the Watty's, over my time here I've seen them accused of so many things. Now I can't sit here and say all of it is false, because there would be no way of me knowing, but I'd feel confident in saying 99.9% of all accusations against the mods are false.

Are some of the rules on Wattpad unfair? Yes, they may very well be. But the Ambassadors don't create the rules. Their job is to keep the people following them. They shouldn't be attacked for doing their unpaid job. If we have a problem with the rules, the only thing we can do is follow said rules and send a message to Wattpad about how unfair said rule is. That's it.

If we don't like those two options, we don't have to be here. We can go somewhere else where maybe they don't have that rule we hate so much. Sure, you might sit here and think "why do I have to leave if I don't like the rules? Why don't they just change them?" Because it's equally unfair of you to ask a company to bend over backwards for your personal preference. This world isn't perfect nor are the websites within them. Wattpad sets the rules that they see as being the best way to maintain such a massive site as this.

Wattpad is not perfect. There are a lot of things about the site I dislike. Did I whine a snivel about the new profile or about the occasional change I don't like? You betcha. But it's my choice and my choice alone to be here. If I was that miserable, I wouldn't still be here. People might tell me I'm blind to the troubles of Wattpad . . . I'm not. I'm well aware of the many faults this site has. It has glitches, it has trolls, it has everything you expect to find on the internet. At the end of the day, it's still one of the best options out there for sharing our work.

But the faults of Wattpad are not the faults of the mods.

Too many times I see a Mod close a thread for breaking a rule and they get attacked for it. I've seen them called anything from Nazi to homophobic slurs all because they dared to enforce a rule. They're just doing their unpaid job. I can't stress the unpaid enough. They're ordinary users just like you and I are. They cannot secretly read your private messages. They can't delete a book without permission. They aren't a Wattpad God.

I've seen people who say they shouldn't be allowed to advertise their works or enter the Wattys or do anything a regular user can do because it puts them at an unfair advantage. No, no it doesn't. Yes some mods have a lot of followers because they're mods, but lots of followers doesn't mean readers. Some people follow them just to have a quick click in case of a problem. I've seen mods with thousands of followers and less than 1K reads to their works.

Some mods might abuse their power, while I haven't seen any do it personally that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If you feel a mod is abusing their power, report it to Wattpad. They will be looked at. But don't attack an ambassador simply because they do what they signed up to do. They agreed to take time out of their writing, their enjoyment of Wattpad, to help keep this place running because Wattpad simply doesn't have the paid manpower to do it. They need volunteers to help and make people feel welcomed.

So have a little respect for our ambassadors.