ON WRITING: The Epic Showdown Vs Telldown

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. - Anton Chekhov

This is another great debate that can bring up some heated conversations. I would be doing a poor job of a writing guide if I didn't cover this part of writing. Show, don't tell. This is a tricky one, in my opinion, to discuss because of the simple fact it's okay to tell once in a while. Yet you're still going to get the people that passionately fight for one over the other.

The problem isn't show vs. tell in general. The problem comes if you're always telling or always showing. Much like dialogue vs. description, you need a proper balance. A book will drag on if it's always showing. So sometimes you have to ask yourself if it's better to rip it off like a band aide and get to the point, or fill it out with more detail.

Once again, I struggle with finding the right balance. There are times I intentionally tell, there are other times I don't mean to tell but I don't notice I'm doing it, and there are times I describe too damn much. The best thing you can do is experiment and practice. If needed, write the scene both with the simpler tell and the usually longer show.

So what is show vs. tell? The simple solution is telling is when you're out right telling the reader what it is rather than using the senses to convey what's going on.

Tells:

It is cold.

"I hate you," he said angrily.

She was nervous.

To show these tells, think of the sights, the touches, the smells, the sounds, and the tastes that will happen in that scene. I'm guilty of not talking about the smells often enough in my books. Use those senses to convey your message.

Showing:

A chill rode along her spine, causing her to shudder, when she stepped outside.

He balled his hands and punched the wall with such force it shattered the plaster. "I hate you!"

Her hands twisted the hem of her shirt around her fingers. She nibbled on her lip, her heart raced as she awaited the scores of her test.

In a way, telling is being Captain Obvious. "This is a guide on writing. Writing is cool." Well thank you Captain Obvious! Showing is how you convey what the character is truly feeling, smelling, touching, etcetera. It is through showing you'll properly be able to convey the emotions within that scene. You'll bring it to life for the reader.

Let's examine this tell: He is a nerd.

Think about it for a moment. What makes him a nerd? You could go with the cliché and say it's because he wears glasses. But why else is he a nerd? Is it the way he dresses? The way he talks? Is it the TV shows he watches? Good grades? What makes a nerd? Decide what makes this character a nerd and tell us those things instead of simply saying "he is a nerd."