Chapter 29

Chapter 29-October 21 Monday Morning

       “Mom…” I mumbled as we waited in the lobby of the hospital. I looked around at the sick patients around me, a few coughing and others ready to pass out.

       “Yes, sweetheart?” she asked as she glanced up from the pile of paperwork.

       “I’m scared…” I replied before my name was called by a nurse in blue scrubs.

       “No worries, I’m here…” my mom told before pushing me after the nurse as we traveled own flawless white hallways. We entered a room, where the nurse ran through all the normal procedures; then she left my mom and me alone.

       I glanced around nervously as my mother held my hand before the doctor walked calmly in. “Good morning, Samantha,” he greeted as he laid his clipboard on the nearby desk before looking at me.

       “Hello Doctor,” I mumbled as I carefully watched him.

       “I hope you’re ready to get rid of these smelly casts,” he said as he pulled open a drawer, while I nodded. He picked out a small saw before kneeling before me; then he switched it on and began to cut away the casts. Soon he cut all the way down both legs and yanked them off; so they laid in two halves on the floor. “There we go…Two beautiful legs…”

       I peered down and noticed my legs had shrunken plus they were covered with scars. Tears sprung into my eyes, but I refused to cry as I muttered, “Yes…beautiful…”

       He began to rub my legs as he told, “You will need to do this at least once a day, but twice would be best.” He massaged the muscle, but I could barely feel a slight tingle.

       “I can do that,” I commented as he stopped and met my eyes.

       “Good. I will see you in two weeks then,” he said with a smile.