Chapter 16

Chapter 16-Oct 14, 2013 Monday Morning

       My mom helped me out of the van and passed me my backpack; then she kissed my forehead quickly before saying, “Have a good day. Call me if you have any problems.”

       “Okay, Mom,” I replied, putting my backpack on my lap before going up the wheelchair ramp. I rolled through the school doors and started toward my first class.

       “Need some help?” asked Leana as she gripped the back handles and began to push.

       “Always,” I giggled as we hurried along.

       “So I heard James’ car got towed for parking in handicap spot,” she laughed as she slid to a halt before our lockers. “Need anything out?” She opened hers and pulled out her math book.

       “No…And it did? Good, he deserved it,” I replied as she handed me the book.

       “Please say that you two…” she started as we headed toward class again.

       “Broke up? Yes. I dumped him Friday and it felt very good,” I told as we turned into the classroom.

       “Good for you,” she replied as she took her book back. “See you later, Sam.”

       “Bye,” I said as I went over to my desk and pushed my old wooden chair out of the way; then I positioned my wheelchair behind my desk.

       “Let me take that for you,” Teacher Wood told, grabbing my old chair and carrying up to beside her desk.