Chapter 7

Chapter 7-Oct 9, 2013 Wednesday Noon

                They unloaded me and pushed me into the house, where my younger sister stood waiting. “Sam!” she yelled as she threw her ten-year old arms around me.

       “Hi Bekka,” I greeted as I hugged her back.

       “I’m so glad that you’re alright,” she told as she looked at me with her big brown eyes.

       “Rebekka, why don’t you show her to her new room?” my mom suggested as she started toward the kitchen.

       “Now room?” I asked confused as I glanced at the stairs.

       “Yea…you can’t go up the stairs; so we moved it down here…It’s not done yet, but we will finish it when you go back to school,” my dad told as he walked around me; so he could see into my eyes.

       “I have to go to school like this?” I snapped as I glanced down at the wheelchair.

       “Yes…You can’t miss having an education…” my mom commented as she stared at me. “Now go on, Rebekka. Show her to her room.”

       “Okay Mom,” Bekka replied as mom and dad went into the kitchen. She started to push, but I was too heavy; so I grabbed the wheels and pushed, making me glide a couple feet. “Cool trick,” she mentioned as she moved to in front. “Follow.” She hurried forward and I struggled to keep up, but finally she stopped at the old storage room.

       She helped me turn before I glided in. The walls were pale blue and my bed rested against the far wall. My desk rested near the window, while my dresser sat in the closet under my dresses. Several posters and certificates hanged on the walls, trying to make it feel homely; but I felt so out of place.

       “Do you like it?” she asked as she walked to beside me.

       “It’s roomy…” I commented as I pushed over to my desk, luckily my wheelchair fit in the chair hole.

       “Dad said that your wheelchair had to have moving room…” she explained as her blond hair fell around her eyes.

       “Where’s my books?” I asked as I pushed back, almost gliding into the wall.

       “Still upstairs…We didn’t get time to move it yet…” she told quickly as she glanced at me. “Do you want anything?”

       “Alone time would be nice…” I answered quickly, avoiding her eyes.

       “Okay…O…James called to make sure that you were okay…Here’s your phone in case you want him to come over…” she told, pulling my beat up cell from her pocket. “Call me if you need anything…” She walked out, closing the door behind her; while I checked my texts.

       SAM! OMG! R U OK? Call me when u r home! Leana…

       Hope you’re okay. Don’t worry about classes. Just get better. Instructor Wang…

       Sweetheart, r u ok? I heard what happened on the news. Text me when u get this and I’ll come over…

       I put my cell down, not replying to a single one. I closed my eyes and just cried.