Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The old woman sat on her bed of clouds, her eyes closed against the light. Her face showed little or no signs of aging even though she was older than one could count. She had an aura of wisdom around her and how long she had been sitting there was anybody’s guess. She was waiting for that something that would make her smile again. She had been waiting a long time. Perhaps even a hundred years.

She was no ordinary woman. You could tell just by looking at her. The woman’s body was made out of light held together by her soul. From her position high up in the next realm she could see everything: all of the people, their homelands, and the animals. She could control it with less than a mere thought.

Then, as the sun began to rise her focus shifted to the kingdom of Dayrius. The kingdom trapped in darkness. She was searching for one particular soul. That one soul was like a bonfire compared to the small sparks most people had. The old woman had glimpsed it once before but it disappeared almost instantly.

Picking out a single soul in thousands was no easy task. People tended to live together in large groups and the information always came out confused and distorted.

As her mind swept the land she thought she once again saw that glimmer of a bonfire soul. The woman traced it to a small old-styled carriage that was trundling down a dimly lit road. It was too early to tell if what she was seeing was the same soul. There could be more than one person riding in the carriage, and the lights seeping from the window weren’t helping as they clouded her vision.

Effortlessly she used her power to stop the lights so as to see better. In her mind she saw the carriage ground to a halt. The street lamps were not bright enough to allow her to see what was happening. She could see the souls moving about and then one separated, going away from the carriage down the road. And then after a few minutes another separated from the carriage.

The old woman’s eyes flew open.

Another spirit was at her side instantly, appearing out of the air.

“What is it Mother?” he asked nervously. Something important had happened to make her open her eyes once again.

She turned to him, a smile breaking across her face, “I have found the one with the soul above all souls.”

“What do you mean?” the spirit asked politely.

“She will light the way to a brighter future.”

~~*~~