Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Days of travel stretched into weeks. For the first time she doubted that their mission was even possible. However, the boys showed no sign of giving up. She assumed that having spent over a year in the forest that time had no real meaning to them. Occasionally she thought of home, mostly when she was too tired to set up her bedroll. Those thoughts did not linger long however, she was learning more from the boys than she suspected in her whole life. Simple things like how to tie a secure knot and how to hold a knife properly were just some of the things Leo had shown her. The twins knew a lot about wood types and starting fires. Mik was resident cook. And Koran… Koran was the leader.

Only once did they come across a village. It was purely by accident as they were following no road in order to not draw any unwanted attention. They went by what Koran could read from his compass. He had explained to Kiayani how he had had to trade a whole demon skin for it and she laughed when he told her how specific the man was on how neat it had to be. They first noticed the presence of a village when they saw the giant floodlights raised above the trees.

“I think we should go around,” said Koran frowning in the direction of the village.

“Why?” asked Leo, his face was full of excitement.

Everyone else stared at him with eyebrows raised in scrutiny. A village meant having some home comforts for a few days.

“I think we could draw some unwanted attention,” he shrugged.

Mik looked at him seriously, “If I am going to die on this journey I want the feeling that I could sleep in a bed one last time before we got to the mountains.”

Kiayani and Leo laughed, but the girl stopped when she saw his expression, he was being serious.

Clearly showing his distaste Koran said, “Fine, but no more than one night tops.”

“Yes!” shouted Leo who did a little jump into the air.

Excited with the prospect of being able to sleep in a comfortable bed and not on the ground they all walked a little faster. Before they entered however, Koran got Kiayani to check the time on her watch. They didn’t want to be running in there while everyone was asleep.

“It’s seven o’clock,” she said.

“Morning or night?” asked Mik looking at her.

“I don’t know,” she admitted, “But either way somebody should be awake and we would only have to wait a few hours otherwise.”

“Only one way to check,” said Koran marching on ahead.

They followed him silently and slowly. And as their feet hit the cobbled roads and paths they ached more than ever. The road was much harder than the forest floor which always had some kind of cushioning due to the build-up of dead leaves and plants. The village around them was silent and seemingly lifeless, however as they got closer to the square they could hear more movement. The sounds of shuffling feet and hushed voices meet their ears. The sound was better than a bird song. They had been alone for so long that other people made a nice change for once.

The houses around them were made either of wood or stone and they all had straw thatched rooves. Dull lights shone out of the windows and out of the lamps that lined every walkway or passage. Raised above them were the floodlights, all aimed upon what Kiayani suspected to be the village square.

When they finally reached the open square lined with rows of shops and taverns they could see quite a few people working and moving around.

“I’m guessing it’s morning,” said Koran looking around at the empty stalls and the few people who filled the square.