Chapter 16

Chapter 16

It was just their luck that they had managed to land in a pitfall. Of all the places in the forest that those men could set up camp it had to be here. Her breathing eventually calmed down and fear and worry sank in. she desperately wanted to help her friends but she didn’t have the slightest idea how.

A few hours later the man came back to find Kiayani sitting on the floor staring at the opposite wall. She had long stopped crying and the tears had stained her face with dirty long streaks.

“You,” he barked at her, she looked up at him, “You are to come with me. Remember that your friends get hurt if you try to run.”

She nodded that she understood and got onto her feet. She wiped her face with her sleeve. Apprehension of what she might be required to do, or what they might do to her, put her on edge. She followed him mutely out of the hut.

“You are to tell friends that they are going to be sold as slaves, then come back here immediately,” he directed her.

He pointed her towards the trees that surrounded the camp clearing and set her off on her way. She walked slowly across the campsite trying to not draw attention to herself. Kiayani found the boys bound to the trees on the other side of the clearing.

“Kiayani!” exclaimed Leo when he saw her.

She looked at him sadly. Koran and Mik’s faces showed relief that she was okay. The twins looked very uncomfortable, being bound with an extra rope each and the rope being doubly as tight.

She approached them warily, very aware of the guard’s eyes following her.

She couldn’t make eye contact with them as she spoke, “I’ve been told to tell you that you are going t-to,” her voice cracked and she had to hold back a sob, “I’m really sorry.”

“Kiayani what’s wrong?” Mik asked her gently.

A bruise on his cheek caught her eye, they would do everything to protect her yet she could give them nothing in return.

“They are going to sell you as slaves,” she said very quickly before muttering a single, “sorry,” and then turning away.

She hated being the bearer of bad news and she felt so terrible being able to walk around almost freely whilst they were stuck tied to trees. She walked away as fast as she could back to the centre hut. The man wasn’t there so she sat down against the wall closing her eyes. If only she was a strong or as powerful as the boys. They would see her as a threat perhaps. But she was only a girl and girls were always weak in the eye of a man. Kiayani blinked at looked up, her mind began racing. She could do anything and they wouldn’t suspect that it was her. It was very risky though; they made it very clear that if she played up that the boys would suffer. Her heart was pounding, but, she needed to take a risk or two. She hated the idea of putting the boy’s lives in danger but she had to do something. Anything.

She was so lost in thought that she jumped when the man came back for her. He raised his eyebrows at her shocked expression.

“Girl, you to make fire,” he said harshly handing her a flint.

She nodded fiercely and hurried off in the direction he pointed her. She walked until she found the fire pit. Several men were lounging around it and seeing Kiayani approach one of them jumped to his feet and walked towards her. He was saying something that she couldn’t understand in their funny language. He had his long hair tied at the back off his neck and he had a very square face. She tried to ignore him but he placed a hand on her shoulder holding her in place. He said something again and Kiayani felt her body flood with fear.