Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Kiayani’s eyes raked their clothing and then her sharp eyes managed to find a difference. The sling! But which one of them wore it? She had only seconds to think as they got closer. In order to acknowledge the boys presence she stood up. She thought she could hear sniggering coming from behind the nearest building. Then she remembered.

“Hi Rute,” she said. How could she have forgotten? It was Yulan who carried the sling.

The sniggering stopped and Kiayani greeted the others, “Koran, Leo, Mik, Yulan, did you guys find anything new?”

They looked at her a little strangely with raised eyebrows but didn’t say anything for which she was greatful. She walked back into the inn with the boys. Out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw the two girls slip back into their house. Expressions of great disappointment clear on their faces.

For dinner they ate a rather large meal, a huge platter of steaks and another of vegetables. No one seemed to touch them and Kiayani asked why Koran had ordered it.

“We aren’t going to be having that much variety in our food while we are on the go,” he explained, “They’ll eat it. You’ll see.”

Koran was right. As hungry as they were, the plate was soon emptied. Kiayani ate very little, just nibbling on the end of her carrot. She didn’t feel very hungry. After they had all finished and the inn began to empty they made their way up the stairs.

Kiayani followed behind them like a ghost, her eyes glued to the stairs. The boys hadn’t said much to her lately and she was wondering if she should stay with them. The voices of the two girls, Lacy and Maria rang through her head ‘she didn’t look happy to me’. Am I being isolated from the boys? She thought as she reached the landing. She pulled her key out of her pocket and found her door. She sighed as she turned the lock.

Kiayani made sure the door was securely locked behind her before she threw the keys down on the table and looked at the bed. She hadn’t really been thinking about it, but she was really tired. It looked warm and far more comfortable than the forest floor ever had. Without even taking off her shoes she climbed into the bed. Sure the sheets were scratchy, but it didn’t matter as she fell asleep within minutes of laying her head down on the pillow.

Kiayani was awoken by a loud rap on her door the following day. She sat up straight slowly and rubbed her eyes tiredly. How long had she been asleep? Wearily she got out from between the blankets and combed her hair with her fingers. She then packed all of her stuff into her pack, picked up the key and left the room. Not seeing the boys on the landing she went downstairs, her bag over her shoulder. The inn keeper was standing behind the counter and Kiayani gave him back the key. He took it frowning and shooed her away. Feeling slightly annoyed her eyes scanned the tap room for any sign of the boys. She then heard a high fake laugh ring through the air. Lacy, the blonde bar maid was taking the boys orders. Grumpily Kiayani made her way across the room filled with tables and chairs. Why couldn’t that girl just leave them alone?

“Hey Kiayani!” Leo smiled and waved and patted the bench next to him.

His shout made Koran look up, “Good you’re awake. We only have time for a quick meal and then we need to get going.

Shoving her bag at her feet she sat down next to the blonde boy.

“Sleep well?” Leo asked.

“Like a baby,” she assured him.

“I would have got more sleep if somebody wasn’t snoring,” he replied giving Mik a glare.

Kiayani laughed as Mik threw an apple at his head which they both only narrowly avoided.