The Lost Boys. Chap 04: A Special Gift

Chapter Four

A Special Gift

The rest of the week passed really fast

          Christmas Eve was right around the corner. On Friday, to be precise. My mother spent most of her time during the week adjusting to her new job and making preparations for our first Christmas in our new home. 

          I went to see Tristan at the cemetery almost every day that week. Some days, when it was snowing, I just stopped by to say a quick hello; some days, when the weather was good, I stayed the whole afternoon, hanging out with him. Our favorite place to hang was a lawn circle in the centre of the cemetery. Somehow we always ended our walks at that spot.

          It seemed that Tristan was always in the cemetery, every day, at any hour. And he always had a knack of finding me, no matter where I was. I didn't know how he did it. I asked him about it one day.  

          "The ghosts around here always tell me if you have arrived and where you are!" he said jokingly, and then he laughed out loud at my slightly scared face. I glanced around worriedly and crossed my arms protectively over my chest. The wind suddenly seemed colder, somehow. 

          "You shouldn't make jokes about ghosts here, Tristan! It's not funny," I warned him. 

          He raised a suspicious eyebrow, smirking at me. "What, afraid of ghosts, are we?" he teased. 

          "No," I mumbled.  "Just want to keep a healthy distance, that's all." 

             He laughed at my polite way of saying I was indeed very much afraid of ghosts.                     "Well, there's no reason to be afraid of ghosts, sweetheart," he said with another of his amazing smiles I was learning to cherish so much. "And I guarantee you, my lovely Joe, that I'll never let any ghost in here ever harm you! You have my word. So you needn't worry," he said, chuckling at my distressed face.

          My nerves were so jittery as a consequence of this conversation that I got up from our lawn without looking where I was going and tripped over a cracked pavement stone. I ended up sprawled across the cold dusty ground. I patted my dirty jeans, embarrassed as hell. 

          Tristan sped over to me, looking really worried. "Joe, are you all right?" 

          "I'm fine. A little embarrassed, but fine," I said, slapping the palm of my hands against my pants. Once again, I was all dirty. What a klutz!  

          I glanced up, waiting for him to offer a hand to help me stand up, like any normal person would. Guilt and remorse crossed his eyes in a heartbeat. It passed in the blink of an eye, to be replaced by a smirking remark. 

          "Come on, Gray! Are you going to stay there all day? Don't be so soft! Let's get going!" he said, walking away without waiting for a reply.