Chapter 21: Shell Cottage

For the past few days at the cottage, I spent most of time sleeping trying to heal. Because of my state and my genetics, this was bound to take quite a long progress.

As I was drinking tea to calm my nerves, Hermione pulled me up with Harry and Ron to discuss something about the sword of Gryffindor.

"Okay," said Ron, "how's this? We tell Griphook we need the sword until we get inside the vault, and then he can have it. There's a fake in there, isn't there? We switch them, and give him the fake."

"Ron, I'm pretty sure he'd know the difference," I said.

"Yeah, but we could be scarper before re realizes —"

He quailed beneath the look Hermione was giving him.

"That," she said, "is despicable. Ask for his help, then double-cross him? And you wonder why goblins don't like wizards, Ron?"

"All right, all right! It was the only thing I could think of! What's your solution then?"

"We need to offer him something else, something just as valuable."

"Brilliant. I'll go and get one of our other ancient goblin-made swords and you can gift wrap it."

Silence fell between us again. I knew Harry was thinking deeply about what to do next for our plan.

"Maybe he's lying," Harry said. "Griphook. Maybe Gryffindor didn't take the sword. How do we know the goblin's version of history's right?"

"Does it really make a difference?" I asked.

"Changes how I feel about it," said Harry. He took a deep breath.

"We'll tell him he can have the sword after he's helped us get into the vault — but we'll be careful to avoid telling him exactly when he can have it."

A grin spread on Ron's face. Hermione looked alarmed.

"Harry, we can't —"

"He can have it," Harry went on, "after we've used it on all the Horcruxes. I'll make sure he gets it then. I'll keep my word."

"But that could be years!" said Hermione.

"I know that, but he needn't. I won't be lying. . . really."

Harry met her eyes with a mixture of defiance and shame.

"I don't like it," said Hermione.

"Me neither," I agreed with her.

"Nor do I, much," Harry admitted.

"Well, I think it's genius," said Ron, standing up again. "Let's go and tell him."

We went back in the smallest room where the goblin and Harry agreed to the terms of helping our plot to get into Bellatrix's vault. I didn't like the feeling of going inside, but at least it would answer my dreams that I keep having about the place. Maybe I'll find that cup that plays over and over again in my mind.

Harry took the goblin's hand and shook on it. It was like planning to break into the ministry all over again. We set to work in the smallest bedroom in semidarkness, much to the goblin's preference.

"I have visited the Lestrange's vault only once," said Griphook, "on the occasion I was told to place inside it the false sword. It is one of the most ancient chambers. The oldest wizarding families store their treasures at the deepest level, where the vaults are largest and best protected. . ."

We remained shut in the room for hours at a time. Slowly the days stretched into weeks. There was problem after problem to overcome. We would only really come out of the room for mealtimes. Bill suspected us greatly as he would stare at us with concern across the dinner table.