Chapter 3: The Ghoul in Pajamas

The shock of losing Mad-Eye and Canaan hung over the house in the days that followed. I kept wanting to see my brothers warm smile, or the tattoos over his body that I admired, or the dark red hair that I used to possess.

I missed him greatly. I didn't have anything to remember him by except memories. I felt like it was my fault. That I caused this and made this happen. It should've been me instead.

Breakfast wasn't that good. Strange because Mrs. Weasley's food was always brilliantly wonderful, but it tasted off for some reason. Mrs. Weasley sat with me that morning for breakfast since everyone left to do their own thing except for Fred. His mum excused him while he was sitting with me to go bother Ron or something.

"So I heard you and Ron, Harry, and Hermione are thinking of dropping out of school," Mrs. Weasley said.

"We are," I said quickly and quietly. I haven't really talked much since my brother was murdered. It was usually just a few words or a short sentence.

"May I ask why?" she pestered on.

"Dumbledore said so," I said.

"What did he say?"

I shrugged my shoulders. I really didn't know much about the answer myself. No one really tells me anything unless I force myself in the situation. I told her, "I'm out of the loop."

"I see," she said, pursing her lips together. "Well, if they happen to tell you, let me know." I nodded my head. She put a hand on my shoulder and had this look of pity in her eyes. "I'm deeply sorry about your brother. I know how much you loved him for only such a short amount of time you've known him. It hurts me to see you this way. It hurts, I know. . . I'm sorry, Aquila."

She patted my back and left me to clean up the kitchen. I sat in place, barely touching my food. I wasn't all that hungry. . .

From that moment on, Mrs. Weasley kept the four of us away from each other. It was obvious to me, she didn't want us to plan on leaving. She's a mother, she has her reasons. To me, it was also a distraction to get rid of the thoughts of my brother.

There wasn't going to be a funeral for Mad-Eye or Canaan as they couldn't retrieve their bodies anywhere.

Molly had served us apple tart that I hardly picked at. Fred forced me to take a few more bites because I was getting alarmingly skinny at a fast rate. Fleur said I was "too thin for ze dress".

Mrs. Weasley was scanning a list she had made for the wedding that still had to be done in very little timing.

"Now, Ron, have you cleaned out your room yet?" Mrs. Weasley asked.

"Why?" exclaimed Ron, slamming his spoon down and glaring at his mother. "Why does my room have to cleaned out? Harry and I are fine by the way it is!"

"We are holding your brother's wedding here in a few days' time, young man —"

"And are they getting married in my bedroom?" asked Ron furiously. "No! So why in the name of Merlin's saggy left —"

"Don't talk to your mother like that," said Mr. Weasley firmly. "And do as your told."

Ron scowled at both his parents, then picked up his spoon and attacked the last few mouthfuls of his apple tart.

"I can help, some of it's my mess," said Harry to Ron. Mrs. Weasley cut across him.

"No, Harry, dear, I'd much rather you helped Arthur muck out the chickens, and Hermione, I'd be ever so grateful if you'd change the sheets for Monsieur and Madame Delacour; you know they're arriving at eleven tomorrow morning. Aquila, dear, you can help Fred tend to the gardens. They are looking a bit dry today."