Chapter Thirty-Six

“No!” Jennet ripped the sim helmet off and lunged over to the other chair.

Tam lay there, still and pale. She put a hand to his cheek. His skin felt clammy, and he was barely breathing. Panic roared through her like fire, red flames nearly choking her, blinding her.

“Help!” she cried, running to the door and throwing it open. “HANA - Call an ambulance. Quick!”

“A medical team has just arrived.” The cool mechanical tones sounded through the room. “They will be with you immediately.”

Already? Jennet blinked. Before she could sort it out, two women in white medical gear rushed into the room.

“Miss Carter?” The taller one took her arm. “Let’s get you on a stretcher and down to the ambulance. We can—”

“What?” Jennet yanked her arm free. “It’s not me, it’s Tam. Over here. Help him!” She hurried to the sim chair where Tam was sprawled, unmoving.

The med techs exchanged a confused look, and then the first one joined Jennet. She took one look at Tam and sucked in her breath.

“Willis,” she said, “we need the full team up here. Stat!”

The second woman pulled out her cell, but HANA spoke first. “I have already alerted the crew.”

“Good.” The tech gave Jennet a sharp look. “Move away, please. We need to get him on the floor and start CPR. Willis!”

Jennet edged back as the other med tech hurried up. A minute later there was a flurry of white-uniformed activity in the room. She couldn’t even see Tam any more, just hear some equipment beeping and the techs throwing around terms she didn’t understand. At least Tam was still breathing. He had to be.

“Miss? Are you all right?” George set a hand on her shoulder. She hadn’t seen him arrive, but she was glad he was there.

The rough sympathy in his voice was too much. Tears burst out of her, and she wrapped her arms around her stomach, trying to keep from falling completely apart.

She had failed. Failed and failed and now Tam… Oh god, what was going to happen? What was she going to do?

George patted her back. “I’ve called your father. He’s on his way, and so is a heli from the hospital. We’ll get Mr. Linn the best possible care.” He gave her a curious look. “But you’re feeling well, yourself?”

Jennet took a deep, ragged breath. “Yes. I’m ok.”

She was surprised to find it was true. Tam had succeeded in that. Her soul was restored, while he…

The tears threatened to swamp her again. She had to hold it together and tell Dad what was going on. He would know what to do - he’d helped build the game, after all.

She wanted to go over and hold Tam’s hand, brush the hair out of his eyes, but the techs were busy putting him on a stretcher. They carried him out the door. Jennet followed, feeling useless.

The daylight outside came as a shock. The way she felt, she expected it to be night. Expected the whole world to be dark. It wasn’t right that the sun was shining while Tam could be… She couldn’t even think the word.

Biting her lip, hard, she slipped forward until she could see him lying on the stretcher. There was an oxygen mask over his face, tubes hooked into his arms. His body was there. But his soul, his self, was not.

Was he sitting beside the Dark Queen in her court? Was Thomas offering advice and solace? Had Tam already forgotten about his life in the mortal world?