Chapter Twenty-Five

“Go!” Tam yelled at Jennet.

He tried to wrench himself away, but he couldn’t break the king’s grip. Left-handed, he scrabbled for his sword.

The Goblin King drew Tam closer, his yellow fangs terribly sharp, his eyes gleaming with malice. The hilt of the sword slipped out from under Tam’s fingers and he felt the edge of panic. Come on, sword! Finally, when it seemed the goblin was about to take a bite out of him, he got a solid grip and pulled the blade free.

“Ark!” the king screeched. He threw both clawed hands up to shield his grotesque face, and Tam scrambled backward into the tunnel.

From her place just inside the tunnel, Jennet shot a bolt of magefire at the Goblin King. He cried out again and staggered toward them, barking out commands. One long, crooked finger pointed toward the tunnel, and goblins surged forward.

“Let’s go!” Tam shouted.

Jennet gave him a panicked look, then picked her skirts up with one hand and dashed down the tunnel. He was right behind her. The noise of goblins scurrying after them grew louder. At any moment, he expected to feel sharp claws digging into his back.

The tunnel branched, and Jennet went left. She didn’t slow down, but he heard her panting for breath. Another branching, and she went right this time. They continued headlong, their way barely lit by the faint blue glow of her staff. The sounds of pursuit faded, but the back of Tam’s neck still prickled. Those goblins didn’t seem like the kind to give up easily.

“I have to rest,” Jennet gasped, slowing down.

“Ok. I think it’s safe for now.” He faced back the way they had come, sword at the ready. The only sound was Jennet’s breathing. After a moment, she stopped panting so hard. Tam’s own breathing evened out, but he didn’t let down his guard.

The tunnel was full of thick shadows. Then, suddenly, eyes shone in the darkness. A blur of sharp claws and red-capped creatures erupted toward them. Jennet gasped and began to run again, but Tam stayed behind. He swiped at the goblins, and the front ranks leaped back, yelping when his steel touched their flesh.

It was rapidly getting too dark to see. He whipped his sword at the goblins one more time, then whirled and sprinted after the faint blue glow of Jennet’s staff.

It didn’t take him long to catch up, which meant that the goblins would be closing fast, too.

“Quickly, come this way,” a high, familiar voice piped.

“Puck!” Jennet said. “Where are you?”

A little brown hand beckoned from the shadows. Squinting, Tam could just make out a jaunty figure standing in a small opening in the tunnel wall. If the sprite hadn’t spoken, they would have run right past.

“Are you sure that’s Puck?” He was tempted to poke his sword at it.

“Hush your mortal mouths, and come,” Puck said. “Or stay, and the redcaps will gnaw your bones.”

“Tough choice,” Jennet said, and slipped through the opening.

Tam hesitated. He didn’t trust the little creature - or the company he kept. But it was either Puck or the goblins.

“Tam?” Jennet whispered.

He couldn’t abandon her. He let out a breath and squeezed himself through the gap. It was a tight fit. Good thing he wasn’t wearing his armor.

“Conceal your light,” Puck said. “Softly now, softly.” He waved his hands at the opening they had just come through.

Tam blinked. In the moment before Jennet’s staff had vanished, taking its light with it, he thought he saw the tunnel walls close. Truth or trick?