Chapter Three

“How’s school going, Jennet?” Dad asked after dinner on Thursday. “It can’t be much like Prep. Are you sure you made the right choice?”

She’d made the only choice. “It’s fine, Dad.”

If by fine you meant bleak.

Whatever the Dark Queen had done to her, it was severe—and getting worse. Every morning, a paler version of Jennet stared out of the mirror. Dizziness swirled around her when she stood up or walked too quickly. She could hide the hollow shakiness filling her up, but eventually Dad would notice she was sick again, the way she’d been right after she lost the battle with the queen. The doctors had no clue. They’d called it ‘summer pneumonia’ and had kept her in the hospital ten days. But this time, she didn’t think hospital meds would help.

Her time was running out.

Dad leaned forward and rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Are you meeting people? I know it’s not an easy transition, but by next summer there should be a lot more families here in the View.”

If she made it to next summer. “I’ve met a couple of the company kids. They seem nice.” And tragic, as far as gaming went.

The dark-haired girl shared a lot of her classes, but she was all anti-tech—in full rebellion against the company both her parents worked for. And from Jennet’s few conversations with the other Viewer, he didn’t seem to be much of a gamer. He claimed to like simming, but he had no idea about any of the new games or systems.

“Glad to hear it.” Dad smiled at her, though there was worry in his eyes. “The academics here can’t be that challenging for you. Going back to your old school as a boarder is still an option. I wish you’d consider it.”

Panic stabbed through her and she shook her head. They had been over this so many times. Wherever the Full-D system was, she had to be. The only way to save herself was to get back to the Dark Court—she knew it in her bones.

The only problem was, she couldn’t get there.

She’d tried, over and over, had spent frustrating hours in-game, trying to get past the first level. No matter what she did—rolling new characters, trying all the quest lines—she couldn’t get to the Dark Court. Couldn’t even get past the starting areas. At least, not by herself. Just as the queen had decreed—she was barred from Feyland.

“A review of the academic subjects isn’t going to hurt me, Dad. I’m staying here, with you. Not changing my mind about that.”

She’d tried telling him what had happened. But every time, the words dried up in her mouth. How could she explain? It was pretty unbelievable. If it weren’t for the fact that she felt what the game was doing to her, she wouldn’t believe it herself. And she didn’t think he’d listen to her argue about why she should be allowed to play again on the Full-D. He’d just see it as gamer excuses. The system was currently off-limits to her—which just made everything more complicated.

Two years ago, Dad had used his program-manager privilege and brought a version of the new Full-D system home. Always working, that was Dad, but in this case it had been fun for her, too. He’d let her try out the early versions of the games the company was developing. When the next-gen system came out, he’d scored one of those, too, arguing that his daughter was a great tester. It was true.

At first she and Dad had run the proto-sims together. He was a terrible player, but he’d watch how she did things in-game and take the information back to the game designers, the rest of his team. She even played an early version of Feyland, though it was nothing like the world she’d become lost in.

Then Dad’s work heated up. His old college friend, Thomas Rimer, joined the company as lead game developer. That had been fun—Thomas was like an uncle to her, and always brought her interesting things to read. Old books, rare ones unavailable in e-format, full of fantastical creatures and odd stories. It was obvious, reading them, where his ideas for Feyland had come from.

Dad had gotten even busier with work and she spent more time by herself on the Full-D, playing through the same old content. Until she’d found the password-protected files. Dad’s security was always easy to crack, and she was curious to see what his development team was working on.

What she had found was magic.

Golden light surrounded her, and she was transported to another world. She walked through a meadow of flowers and felt the breeze against her face, smelled the fresh scent of grasses and earth. Pixies fluttered around her, laughing. Odd creatures gave her quests that led to unexpected puzzles. Her first fight in-game had been ferocious—magebolts sizzled from her magical staff and she had slain a black wyvern, receiving a glowing treasure in return.

She’d known that VirtuMax was working on adaptive technology, but this, this, was beyond anything. The game was incredible, and the sensory interface felt real. More than real. Everything else fell away and she was there, in an enchanted world.

She spent the summer in-game. Sure she ate her meals, slept, hung out with her friends, but her mind was spun about with the silver threads of Feyland.

Until she was defeated by the Dark Queen. And then Thomas died.

His death hit Dad hard, not only because he’d been a co-worker, but a good friend. VirtuMax got paranoid and work on the game stopped. Rumors flew that Thomas’s death was some kind of corporate espionage. They cracked down on security, stepped-up transfers to the View—and Dad absolutely forbid her to use the Full-D.

But by then it was too late.

“You’re looking tired,” Dad said. “Make sure you get to bed on time tonight, all right?”

“I will if you will.” She smiled, to show she was teasing, but he didn’t look so great himself. There were lines on either side of his mouth that hadn’t eased since Thomas died.

“You drive a hard bargain.” He smiled back, though there was something distant in his eyes. Probably already thinking about work.

She couldn’t take another night of pretending to watch vids while trying to ignore the Full-D systems in the game room. “Right. So, I’m going out to board a little.”

“Be careful.” He always said that.

There was nothing dangerous here, in the half-built world of The View. The fence was live, and nobody without a chip or a pass was allowed in.

“I am.” Besides, she always wore her helmet.

There was still some watery light in the sky as she coasted down the empty streets, the g-board humming under her feet. She didn’t have the energy to try any tricks—not that there was much here to work with. No rails or half-pipes or ramps. So she just balanced on her board, moving past houses and landscaping that didn’t exist yet, except inside some architect’s sim.

Nobody here. Nobody who could help her. Which left Crestview High, with its drastic losers. The sky grew darker, and she shivered. There had to be a reasonable gamer here, somewhere. Even if they didn’t live in The View.

She’d seen a flyer earlier that week for the school’s Gaming Club. The meeting was tomorrow. Maybe she’d find her champion there

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote for it.  :)

The complete, published version of Feyland: The Dark Realm is availabe in ebook (only 1.99!) and print (12.99) at Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, and many other retailers.

The first 6 chapters of Book 2, Feyland: The Bright Court, are available on Wattpad - check them out! Please drop me a line (antheasharp@hotmail.com) to sign up on my mailing list and to find out about new releases and bonus material!