Chapter Twenty-Three

Tam felt himself relax as the game’s golden light surrounded him. The moment of disorientation he felt when entering Feyland made sense now. It wasn’t some trick of the visuals. It was an actual transition from the real world to - what had Thomas called it? A between place.

This time, they arrived in a ring full of twilight shadows, with not even a hint of sunlight. That was good, right? Jennet had said the darker the level, the closer they were to the court. The thought sent a shiver through him. A dream-fragment caught in his memory; the satiny texture of the Dark Queen’s hair, her midnight voice whispering forgotten promises.

“Tam? Are you coming?”

He gave himself a mental shake and looked up. Jennet had already stepped out of the mushroom ring and was watching him, her head tilted. The crystal on the end of her staff shed a bluish glow, illuminating the pale forest around them.

“You brought a flashlight,” he said. It was a weak joke, but she smiled anyway.

“No following wisps this time, ok?”

“I expect you to poke me with that if I do.” He nodded to the staff. “Lead on.”

The pale trees grew farther apart here, interspersed with clearings full of silvery grasses. They hadn’t walked for long when Tam became aware of a sound - a humming buzz coming from up ahead. Jennet halted.

“Do you hear that?” Her voice was hushed.

“Trouble?”

“I… I don’t know. I’ve never seen this place before. Everything in the game is changing.”

He set one hand on the hilt of his sword. When she started walking again, he was at her shoulder. If something jumped out at them, he could get between her and it in a heartbeat.

Nothing sinister happened, though. Just the noise getting louder until they reached a larger clearing, illuminated by a lantern set on a post. On the far side was a tumble-down hut, and just outside the door sat a bent old woman. The sound they had heard was coming from her spinning wheel.

“Come closer!” the spinner called, not pausing in her work.

The wheel in front of her turned at a furious pace as her foot worked the pedal. She had a handful of something that looked like cloud, which she was feeding into the wheel. Luminous white thread came out the other side.

“Greetings, goodwife,” Jennet said.

The old woman looked at them then, her eyes deep-set and piercing. She nodded her lace-capped head and let the wheel slow.

“Fair Jennet. And bold Tamlin.”

“Greetings.” Tam made a bow, and then glanced at Jennet, waiting to follow her lead. Was this a threat, or just a diversion? It was impossible to tell if this was originally part of the game, or if it was all Faerie, or a combination of both.

The old woman let out a cackle. “Which of you will help me spin, thus further in the world to win?”

“I will.” He took a step forward. It seemed that the old woman was their next quest-giver.

“Tam, no.” Jennet caught hold of his arm. “It’s too dangerous.”

“All the more reason for me to do it.”

A half-remembered bit of story snagged at his brain. Something about pricking a finger and falling into a deep sleep… Well, if he did, Jennet would just have to blast the old spinner by herself.

“We’ll do it together,” she said. There was a stubborn set to her jaw that said she wasn’t backing down.

“Heh!” the old woman said. “Four clever hands will lead you into faerie lands.” She stood and gestured to the wheel.

Tam perched on the stool and set one foot on the pedal. His booted foot looked cumbersome and strange beside the delicate wood. Hopefully he wouldn’t break the thing.

“Ok.” Jennet took up the downy stuff the old lady had laid aside. “Ready?”

He nodded and pushed down with his toes. The wheel began to spin. Jennet eased bits of the fluff forward between her hands, a look of concentration on her face. The thread they made wasn’t smooth, but lumpy and awkward-looking. As it wound onto the wheel, it was obvious where the old lady’s spinning had stopped, and theirs began.

“Faster,” the crone cried. “Spin and turn, spin and turn.”

Tam swore he wasn’t pressing any harder, but suddenly the wheel sped up. The humming noise began again, vibrating down to his bones.

“Tam!” There was a panicky note in Jennet’s voice.

“Keep going,” he said.

Somehow he knew that if they stopped, they failed. And they couldn’t afford to lose.

The wheel was a blur of motion - everything around them was twirling. He heard the old woman’s voice, as if from far away, call, “Round and round, then reach the ground.”

The stool vanished from beneath him and his teeth clacked together as he sat down hard. It was completely dark. He felt around in front of him, but the spinning wheel was gone.

“Jennet?” Fear stabbed through him. If they were separated…

“Here.” She sounded breathless.

A moment later, bluish light bloomed as the crystal from her staff illuminated their surroundings. Rough-hewn rock enclosed them on three sides. The fourth led into the shadowy dark of a tunnel. Jennet stood beside him, both hands wrapped around her staff. He was sitting on a dirt floor, next to a heap of bones.

“Nice. Any idea where we are?” He clambered to his feet and nudged the pile of bones with his boot. They didn’t look human.

“Some kind of cave - and I don’t think much of the décor.” She made a face at the bone-pile. “Let’s get out of here.”

Side-by-side they stepped forward into the dark opening. The tunnel was big enough that Tam didn’t need to duck his head, and wide enough that their shoulders just brushed as they walked. He kept one hand firmly on his sword.

The way twisted and turned, and they came to a place where the tunnel split. There wasn’t a clear choice - both tunnels were equally wide and dusty.

“Which way?” He kept his voice low. Just because they hadn’t run into any creatures yet, didn’t mean they were alone in here.

“Hm. Maybe this will help.” Jennet extinguished her staff’s light.

The darkness pressed against Tam’s senses. He blinked a few times, to make sure his eyes were open. Then, very faintly, he saw a glow coming from the left-hand side. It was reddish and didn’t seem too friendly, but it was better than nothing. Even if it led to trouble, fighting monsters would be a change from wandering lost in some dark and dusty cave.

He felt Jennet’s hand on his shoulder and he nodded, though it was too dark for her to see. From here, they’d go without a light. No sense in advertising their presence. He stepped forward, keeping his pace slow in case they ran into any obstacles. Her hand was steady where she touched him, and she seemed happy enough to let him lead the way. Ahead, the red glow was a sullen smudge against the shadows.

The light grew imperceptibly brighter with every step, but no more welcoming. The tunnel curved, and he heard sounds - a low thumping, the strange sibilance of a language he couldn’t recognize. A foul reek filtered through his nostrils; rotten food and singed hair. Eerie shadows danced on the rock wall, and the back of his neck prickled. He inched forward and quietly drew his sword. The ruddy light reflected off it like blood. What lay ahead?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote for it.  :)

The complete, published version of Feyland: The Dark Realm is available in ebook (only 2.99) and print (12.99) at Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, iTunes, and other retailers. Or buy the complete trilogy in one epic digital bundle for only $8.99. Three full books, one awesome adventure~ http://www.amazon.com/Feyland-The-Complete-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00B73TD9I/

Visit antheasharp.com, and head to http://www.tinyletter.com/AntheaSharp to sign up on my mailing list for info about new releases and bonus material!