Chapter Thirty-Five

Jennet didn’t know what she was asking - but she was right about one thing. They sure weren’t winning. Without giving himself time to think, Tam charged toward the Dark Queen.

Maybe if he were fast enough he wouldn’t get caught by her ethereal beauty, or fall into the starry pools of her eyes. He had to stay strong, be a champion. He was here to save Jennet.

Holding that thought like a weapon, he kept his sword pointed straight at the queen and kept going. Her lovely face stilled, her eyes widened, and Tam felt his heart rip. It was too late to turn aside. He waited in horror for his blade to pierce her beauty, for a shocked cry of pain to pass those perfect lips.

It didn’t happen.

One moment, the queen was before him, the next, his sword tip was jammed between the vines that made up her throne. He yanked at it, finally wresting it free. Smoky laughter sounded behind him. A touch, light as a whisper, on the back of his neck. He whirled, to find the queen standing there, unharmed.

“A bold champion,” she said. “I would give much to claim loyalty such as yours.”

Her words sparked pleasure through him. But he couldn’t give in. Squinting his eyes mostly closed, he swung at the queen again. This time, his blade passed through her as if she were made of fog. Her laugh chimed through the air.

“It is not so simple is it, brave knight? But look, see how your lady fares.” She gestured to the other side of the circle.

Jennet was illuminated by blue fire. She had etched a line of it in the ground between her and the Black Knight. He paced before it, unable to cross, while she sent flickering lightning bolts that burned and sizzled against his armor.

“You see?” the queen said, her voice a twilight caress. “They are well-matched. Just as you and I are, Tamlin.”

“No,” he managed to say, but somehow he was looking into the queen’s eyes.

They were fathomless, full of secrets he hadn’t even known existed. The scent of smoke and roses twisted around him, and his heart tightened. Dreams and longing pressed against his skin, against his soul.

The Dark Queen leaned forward. Her lips parted with promise, and for one fatal second he lowered his sword.

“Good,” she whispered, sending her breath into his mouth.

Then Jennet screamed.

Tam wrenched himself away from the queen. “Jennet!”

She was on her knees, the blue fire gone, her staff on the ground beside her, broken. Despair shone in her eyes. The Black Knight stood over her. Slowly, he lifted his sword.

“You have lost,” the queen said. She held up her right hand, showing Tam the sphere that held Jennet’s trapped soul. “Now I take what is rightfully mine.”

No! Defeat was bitter in his mouth, churned in his stomach. His fault. He had let the queen distract him, and she had done something to turn the battle – had used Jennet’s energy against her. But it wasn’t over yet.

“Wait,” he said. “I’ll offer you a bargain.”

“Yes?” The queen tilted her head and watched him, her expression knowing.

He felt as though his mind were moving at the speed of light. There had to be a solution here, a way to save Jennet. He couldn’t let her die.

“You’ve taken Jennet’s energy,” he said. “Practically drained her. There can’t be much left.”

The queen held the flickering sphere up and studied it a moment. The flames glinted in her eyes. “There is enough for my purposes.”

“But you could have more. You could have mine.”

“Tam, no!” Across the circle from him, Jennet gave him a wide-eyed look. “I’m the one who lost. You can’t do this.” Her voice hitched on a sob.

The queen smiled, as piercing as a shard of crystal. “You offer yourself instead? Bold, Tamlin.”

“Yes. Take me, and let Jennet go.” His mouth was dry. Still looking at Jennet, he scraped the words out. “Jen. Take care of my Mom and brother. Tell them I love them. And I’m sorry.”

Tears glistened on Jennet’s face. “No. No. Tam, you can’t—”

“I accept your bargain.” The queen opened her hand, and the flames of Jennet’s soul flew free, streaming back to her. “Now, brave knight, you are mine.”

Tams’ senses whirled as the Dark Queen leaned forward. She placed her hands on his cheeks, her touch like cool starlight. He could see nothing but her terrible, lovely face. Hear nothing but the high skirling of pipes. Taste nothing but ashes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote for it.  :)

The complete, published version of Feyland: The Dark Realm is available in ebook (only 2.99) and print (12.99) at Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, iTunes, and other retailers. Or buy the complete trilogy in one epic digital bundle for only $8.99. Three full books, one awesome adventure~ http://www.amazon.com/Feyland-The-Complete-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00B73TD9I/

Visit antheasharp.com, and head to http://www.tinyletter.com/AntheaSharp to sign up on my mailing list for info about new releases and bonus material!