Chapter Nine

Tam couldn’t believe it. The clamor of the lunchroom faded as he blinked at Marny. “Really? You’ll watch the Bug this afternoon so I can go to Jennet’s? That’s the nicest—”

“Shut up, or I’ll take my offer back. And it’s only the once, clear?” She made a face. “If your little brother gets too crazy, I’m calling the cops.”

As if the police would come out to the Exe for anything less than murder. Maybe not even then.

“Ok.” Tam fished in his pack for the emergency cash he kept tucked away. He held the money out to Marny. “You’ll need this.”

“I’m not taking your money!” She sounded offended. “Do you think I look like a babysitter? I’m doing this out of friendship.”

“I know.” He waved the cash. “But you’re going to need to get some stuff at the store to keep the Bug occupied. Sugar Crunchies - the big box. And the new Manza-boy comic.”

“That had better work.” She took the money. “I have to be home by six, though. So whatever it is you and Miss Fancy-girl are up to, be done by then. And Tam,” her expression softened, “be careful, ok?”

“Hey. It’s not like I’m going to go rob a bank or anything. She’s just showing me a new sim-system.”

“She says.”

“I don’t think she’s lying.” He didn’t think Jennet’s appreciation for his game-playing had been faked, either.

Marny narrowed her eyes at him. “Something else is going on, Tam. There’s something not normal about this.”

“What, that one of them would want to spend time with me?” That stung, though it wasn’t anything he hadn’t thought before. Jennet’s interest was hard to explain. Except that it had something to do with gaming, the one thing he was really good at. “Don’t worry, I can take care of myself.”

“I know.” Her lips pulled into a frown. “Just - pay attention, ok?”

“I always do.”

 # # #

It was hard not to be overwhelmed as he slid into Jennet’s chauffeured grav-car after school. The interior smelled like status and money, and the seats were more comfortable than his own bed. He glanced over the divider as the chauffeur manipulated the shiny controls on the dash. How would it feel to drive this thing, to glide, frictionless, over the gridded roads?

“Here.” Jennet settled beside him and held out a shiny plastic card attached to a clip. “Your visitor’s badge. You’ll have to wear it in The View, so the sensors don’t go off.”

“Nice.” He took it, the holograph of VirtuMax’s company logo shimmering as it caught the light.

Of course, there had to be a system to let the peons in. Cleaning and maintenance people had to have controlled access to the rich people’s world, after all. He took a pinch of his shirt and attached the badge. It hung crooked, but he didn’t care.

He glanced at Jennet, who looked a bit embarrassed. Maybe it was the first time she’d had to provide one of her ‘friends’ with an access badge.

“It’s good for two weeks,” she said. “I got you a long pass, just in case. Although I need to be with you while you’re inside the walls, since it’s got a low security clearance.”

“Yeah. Wouldn’t want to set off any alarms.” He felt like a sheep. A criminal one.

She cleared her throat and went for an obvious change of subject. “Anyway, I’m glad you could come today. Marny is a pearl.”