54: The Tunnel

Emma's P.O.V

We had been walking for a while, down the rail road tracks. Glenn and I were up in front of everyone.

As we were walking I began thinking about everything.

What if I don't get to see dad or Carl before I die? Carl and I were supposed to survive this thing together. The weirdest part is, I don't remember getting bit. I don't know how I got bit without feeling it either, its the weirdest thing. I try my best to remember it, but I just can't.

I don't know why I can't either, maybe I'm in denial, or I just don't want to accept it. Maybe I just can't bring myself to accept it. Either way, I'm screwed.

I decided to have everyone stop, I wanted to go into the woods to see for myself. It slightly aggravated Glenn, but he can get over it, he'll get to Maggie soon enough. As I was walking, I began to remember what exactly had gone down...

The bullet hole pierced through my skin, causing me to fall to the ground, but in the process another ricochet bullet hit me in the shoulder, blasting straight through me, completely entering and exiting my body within the same second. As I fall, I'm wincing in pain. Walkers start coming in, I'm successful at keeping them away from my feet. Yet I failed to notice the walker at my side. There it was, just laying there. Ready for a meal. I lifted up in order to push one of the walkers, and the walker at my side took it's chance. With the closest part of me to it, exposed, it took a bite. I winced in pain, pain I thought was from pushing one of the walkers away with my arm.

Tears began flowing out of my eyes, my eyes had become a river. I really was gonna die, and I probably will never see Carl or dad again.

I walked out of the woods and back onto the train tracks, I knew everything I needed to. Though, none of it felt real.

I began walking, they could all tell I had been crying. I just walked forward, proceeding with our original route.

Glenn caught up to me.

"Hey Em, you okay?" He asked.

"That was a stupid question." I retorted.

He realized his mistake.

"I'm sor-" He began.

"Do you think I'll ever see my dad again?" I asked, itching my leg, and accidentally hurting my wound.

"I- uh, er." He started.

"So, no." I said, clearly losing all of the life apparent in my eyes.

"I didn't mean it like that its just..." Glenn said.

"Just that I'm dying. Trust me, I know. I'm gonna get to see them before I die though. Both dad and Carl, you just wait and see." I said picking up pace and leaving Glenn behind.

I let one tear roll down my cheek just to fall off of my chin.

How could I have been so stupid. This is all Eugenes fault. WAIT! He's a scientist... doctor...whatever he is, he can fix me. That's what all of this has been about, getting Eugene to D.C because he knows how to fix this thing. He can fix me.

I turned around.

"You." I said becoming a bit excited as I pointed to him.

He looked at me confused and Abraham stepped up, to show me that he wouldn't hesitate.

"Back down, big red. I'm not gonna hurt him. Though this is all of his fault, if he weren't shooting. I never would've been shot, and we'd still have the truck. But, he might be able to fix half of that. You're a scientist, and you said you know what caused this... so why can't you help me, why can't you make this go away. We're not in DC, and I don't even know if I'll make it that far. I need this, please. You have to cure me." I begged.