45: Gratitude

Emma's P.O.V 

After dad and I's reunion there was only one other person I was worried about seeing; Carl. 

Carl's P.O.V 

Now that Daryl's back, Emma can finally come back out of there. I began walking back up to the courtyard slowly, I was in no hurry, Emma probably couldn't get out till she took the medicine. 

Emma's P.O.V

"Oh Dad, I have some stories to tell you about these last few days." I said laughing. 

"I mean, I got shot in the leg, and jumped over the railing with the bullet still in my leg. I also helped so many people. It was great." I said, joyfully. 

"Well, how about you tell me these stories after we get some of this medicine in you." He said while taking me with him outside of the cellblock. 

"Why do I need the medicine? I'm not sick." I replied. 

"Just because of how long you were exposed to it and all, everyone at the prison has to take some." He claimed. 

I nodded, it made sense, and thats a good concept. It would potentially prevent it from spreading again. 

Then I thought about my mom, how she'll never be able to see any of this, but I guess this is just her karma. Even after it all, she couldn't manage to treat me nicely, so karma did it's thing. I got sad, for some reason. 

"I don't know if you care or not, but Mom, got the flu and didn't survive." I said. 

"I'm sorry Kiddo." He said. 

"I put her down, she hadn't turned yet, we all knew she was going to though." I said, a tear rolling down my cheek. 

He nodded. 

"Lets go get you some medicine." He said as he opened the door leading out of the prison for me. 

I ran out to the mini van, again, ignoring the dulled pain in my leg. "Where did this come from?" I giggled. 

"You like it? Its my sweet new ride. I'll take you for a ride in it anytime." Michonne joked, causing me to laugh. 

"What happened to you? You don't seem too sick?" Rick asked. 

"About that..." I began but was stopped when Bob handed me some of the antibiotics to take along with some water. 

I swallowed the pill with ease, for whatever reason, I never had a problem with taking pills. 

"Okay, now that thats out of the way... Whats going on?" Rick said. 

I seen Carl's sheriff hat off in the distance, I completely ignored Rick and took off running. The pain in my leg was dulled slightly, but it wasn't really enough to ignore, but I still ran. I couldn't run as fast as I usually could, but I didn't let that stop me. I just wanted to be with Carl. 

"One of these days I'll get an answer out of her." Rick joked to the others as I left. 

Carl was looking down at his feet but I guess he heard me because he looked up and started running towards me. 

He looked at me like he had seen a ghost. 

We crashed together in a hug. 

I wrapped my arms tightly around him. 

When we split from the hug, we reconnected with one another in a kiss. We split from the kiss and hugged once more. 

"I'm so glad you're okay." He said to me quietly.