25: Abuse

Carl's P.O.V

Daryl, Oscar, and I are out in the tombs clearing them of whatever walkers were in there.

Daryl started talking to me about my mom. He tells me the story of how he lost his mom, smoking in bed.

"I killed my mom. She was out, I did it before she could die and turn." I said.

Daryl stayed silent but I could tell he was sympathetic towards me for this.

We passed a door that was barely moving, "We'll get it on the way back. Things to weak to put up a fight. It's not hurting anyone while its in there." Daryl said.

We walked a bit more through the tombs. We weren't looking for anything imparticular, I don't think anyways.

I don't know how many days it's been since everything happened. Emma's still gone, I miss her... a lot and I can tell Daryl does too.

"I can tell you miss her. I do too." I said.

"Emma?" He asked more so already knowing the answer.

"Yeah, Beth told me that we were the last two people she was worried about for whatever it counts for." I said.

"I know, Beth told me too." Daryl said.

I stayed silent.

"Did you know that she thought you were mad at her?" Daryl said.

"I kinda figured that. I don't know what was wrong with me. I think I ruined our friendship. I wish I never did any of that." I said.

"She wasn't mad at you, she told me she wanted things back to normal. I don't know if she meant before this place or before the dead started walking. I do know that didn't ruin y'alls friendship. Its gonna have to take something way bigger than that for you guys to not be friends anymore." Daryl said.

Why would Emma want to go back to before, her mom abused her everyday. "Daryl..." I said pausing for a minute, then realizing there must've been a reason Emma didn't tell Daryl what happened with her mom. "Do you think she's okay?" I asked attempting to cover up my tracks but genuinely wondering as well.

"Depends on what you mean by okay." He replied.

"I mean do you think she's still alive." I said.

"Until we find her body she's just gone. Not dead, but not alive either. That way you don't have to worry about her if she is alive because she's dead and if she's dead you don't have to cry and mourn her because she's still alive. Not that crying and mourning our loved ones is a bad thing, its just not something I like to do." He said.

I just nodded. Daryl's way makes sense but there isn't a thing I wouldn't give just to say 'Sorry' to her.

Oscar wasn't really in our conversation but he was with us, he went into a cell and found a pair of slippers. Neither Daryl or I understood why he needed them. Oscar was explaining why "Y'know for the end of the day, when I'm unwindin." He had more to say but he was cut off by the groans of a walker.

Daryl snapped around and shot it in the head. He noticed one thing that I didn't though. The walker had Carol's knife in its skin.

Emma's P.O.V

I've been here for what feels like forever, but it was only nine days, I think. Everyday brings the same thing, I go with barely any food, I stay in this dark room all day, and then later in the day The Governor comes in. He does the same thing to me everyday.

Today is different though. Merle came in.

The door busted open and he turned on a light that I never knew existed.