18: Truth Is, I'm Petrified

Emma's P.O.V

Everyone was sitting around the tents besides Daryl. I don't know what his problem is, why doesn't he just sit with us, us being everyone. It just doesn't make sense. Today Glenn seems on edge and Rick seems pissed at the world like the world just pissed in his coffee.

I decide to talk to Glenn, he seems a little on edge. I stand up to go talk to him but before I can he makes a grand announcement to everyone.

"There is Walkers in the barn." He said really fast and really jumpy.

Almost everyone's jaws dropped to the ground.

"You knew about this and didn't tell us?!" Shane said, approaching Glenn.

Glenn completely ignored Shane and walked passed him. I went and sat back down with Carl. Shane now seems uneasy. I glance over at him more than usual because of this. Like I said before, I'm scared of Shane. I don't trust him, him being uneasy makes me uneasy. Almost every time I glance over at him he's doing that weird thing he does when he rubs his head.

Rick left when Hershel came and asked for his help. Here I sit uneasy, just staring off into space. Theres nothing that I'm particularly thinking about, I guess I'm just scared. Carl notices I guess and this sparks conversation.

"Hey, Emma. Are you okay?" He says.

"Wait what, oh wait, yeah. I-I'm good." I said still kind staring off into no where. I know that I'm lying and I'm pretty sure he knows that I'm lying. I should know that he's gonna end up knowing the truth anyways. I don't know why I'm lying.

"Are you sure?" He asks trying to persuade me even more to tell the truth.

"Truth is, no. I have no problem telling you why. Just not here I don't want a ton of people to over hear." I said over pronouncing the 'you'.

We get up and walk over to a random tree not too far from the rest of our group. We sit down with our backs to the trunk. I lean my head on his shoulder for a moment, I take a deep breathe in and release it and lift my head up from Carl's shoulder.

"Okay, so truth is, I'm petrified of so many things." I said with a random crack in my voice.

"What are those things?" He asks.

"Well a big one is of the world in general nowadays. I don't know if I'm gonna survive or if the people I love are gonna survive, I don't know any of that. Honestly I don't even really care if I survive or not, I just don't want anyone to ever touch the people I love. I don't know if I can live knowing that it happened. Another thing is I'm scared that something bad will happen to Daryl, or he'll just randomly disown me or something like that. Which I know he never ever would but I'm just so scared of losing him."

"Emma, you don't have to worry about not surviving, you are by far one of the strongest people I know. You shouldn't worry about the people you love dying either, just love them while you have the chance to. With your dad I don't think he'll ever leave you intentionally and I don't think you should ever worry about anything happening to him. I just don't see it, he rides a motorcycle around in the world of walkers."

"Carl, another thing Im scared of is losing you, this is gonna make me sound like a such a loser but in school most people just avoided me for whatever reason and then with my mom she wasn't really around me much, my whole life I've felt like I've had nobody. Then I meet you and I don't feel like that anymore. I just can't help but think everything right now is too good to be true, especially in the world we live in. So many things have and will continue to go wrong. I just start thinking something bad is bound to happen again soon, and I don't know if I can take it. I don't ever wanna lose you Grimes."

"What, are you insane. You'll never lose me. I'll always be right here with you whether you like it or not. You couldn't get rid of me no matter how hard you tried. You're my best friend Emma, you'll always have me. I promise."

Almost instantly afterwards Glenn pops up out of no where. This will most definitely be interesting.

"So, what are you to love birds up to?" Glenn says as he's sitting down in front of us.

I glare at him and I'm sure he knows I am because he's avoiding all eye contact with me.

"Glenn, we're just friends. As a matter of fact, best friends." I said causing him to focus his attention to me.

Carl just sat there quietly and became sorta nervous. I also happened to notice he was blushing.  He doesn't like me, right? No way of him liking me, not at all. Him and I have made it very clear that we're just friends. Really close friends.

"Yeah, sure." Glenn said sarcastically.

"Glenn! Don't make me break your leg. I told you thats what would happen." I said through kinda gritted teeth.

Glenn got right up and walked away.

"Have you and Glenn talked about that before?" Carl asked.

"Yeah, he thinks I like you. Even though I made it clear to him that we're just friends." I said.

"Oh." Carl said really sadly.

"Are you oka-" I tried to say before getting cut off by a rampaging Shane rushing to the barn with everyone following close behind.

Carl and I quickly got up and followed. When we finally got there we heard the end of Shane's speech he was giving. I tuned him out though and looked over to the woods to notice Rick, Hershel, and some guy named Jimmy, I think (I never got properly introduced to him long with most of the others, well the others that aren't in my group. I guess I never really left Carl's room enough to get introduced to them) coming out of the woods with two walkers with some pole chain things around their neck.

I tapped Carl's arm to get his attention, which worked so I then pointed in the direction of Rick. Carl looked but Shane must've saw me too because he immediately looked over there. Once Rick, Jimmy, and Hershel all made it up here Shane went insane. Shane started going on and on about how these things aren't human and how they need to die. Three shots were fired into the chest of the woman walker by Shane.

"You see that, three rounds to the chest and she's still moving. Thats not normal." He finishes up as he shoots both of the walkers in the head then proceeds to break the chain off the barn door. Almost instantly walkers start pouring out of the barn. Almost everyone has their guns out shooting and killing the walkers. The only few who don't are all of Hershel's family, Carol, Lori, Daryl, Rick, Carl, and I. Maybe theres a bit more than a few, but with all the guns going off you'd think there was a thousand shooters.

As the gun shots came to a halt I reached for Carl's hand. I was scared. Shane is insane and I'm terrified of him and I know he'd never hurt Carl. Carl and I ended up holding hands and I squeezed his hand for a second trying to tell him that I was scared. He squeezed my hand back and inched closer to me I guess trying to tell me that everything will be okay, or something along those lines anyway.

Once we thought the barn was clear of walkers one last walker came out. A little girl who was all too familiar, it was Sophia, sweet Sophia. She had on her same purple shirt with a rainbow in the front, her kaki shorts, and her tennis shoes. There was a huge bite taken out of her left should-neck area. Carol came running forward to greet Sophia with whatever hope she had left leading her to believe Sophia was still alive. Before Carol could get up to Sophia Daryl came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. They fell to the floor and she twisted herself to where she could just cry into his shirt. Rick stepped up with his gun and shot Sophia strictly out of Mercy.

------------------------------------------------------

I hope yet another time that you are all enjoying the story. I know Carl in my story is extremely out of character but as I said before I'm really bad at being in character. I truly do appreciate all of you reading my story. I know I keep including a lot of things between Carl and Emma but I really like the things I include. Again, if you enjoyed don't forget to vote and if you have anything to say feel free to leave a comment because I read all of them.

Much Love, the random girl who wrote this book - <3